Formula 382 - Running Wire from Helm to Cabin

Notices

Formula 382 - Running Wire from Helm to Cabin

Old 04-14-2021, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Formula 382 - Running Wire from Helm to Cabin

Hi All,

I spent considerable time searching and couldn't find anything particularly helpful so apologies if this has been asked before. I have a 2003 382 Fastech and Iím trying to upgrade my radio to a new Fusion system and will be upgrading my MFD as well, so Iíd like to add a NMEA 2000 system to interface the radio and the MFD. I know how all the wiring works as Iíve done it on my dads boat, but I cannot for the life of me find an easy way to run the wire from the dash on the starboard side to the port side of the cabin where the radio is. Is there a nifty trick here or do I need to just tough it out? Iím almost thinking it may be easier to go back and around through the engine bay rather than forward. I did find the pull tab to flip the dash up, which helps, but Iím struggling past that.

Also if anybody knows how to get the wooden box the radio mounts to out that would be helpful too. I removed the 2 screws where the CD holder is as well as 2 on the other side, but the thing won't budge....Iíll post a picture of that in a few.

Thanks in advance!
Theo
Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I seem to recall the same struggle. I do remember that the cabinet beside the frig my 2002 had a round plate in the top that I could remove and gain some access to the back side of the glove box. I think I removed the frig to gain access to the area behind the stereo. Getting across the dash was never needed so I can't help there. Last year in my 400ss I was doing what you are and finally found I could drill a 2in hole in a specific spot that allowed a wire to pass exactly as I needed......no idea how/where that might be done in the 382.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply! I took that round plate out and Iím fairly certain if I could get the wire up on top of there itíd be easy to get to the radio.....it seems like thereís no way to get the wire in there from the dash though, I may have to go to the back of the boat and back forward. Someone else suggested putting the backbone in the engine and bringing a wire up for each the radio and the radio.

Also in case anybody else is wondering, the box the radio is in does come out....I guess it was just a little stuck after 18 years in there. Wish I had managed to get it out before butchering up the old kenwood haha

Photo included below.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Unfortunately, I have only completed this on older birds, I was able to go behind the gauges to the top right of the dash and found a hole. Then I ran the wire under the headliner and along the back of the cuddy door to behind the fridge cabinet and to the radio. This was on the older SR1's though.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine 292 came w/out a radio. or at least a working one. I put the 'brain' on the strb side in the back storage area, and just ran new speaker wires. it was easier/faster and the control is at the helm anyway. I used the control to cover up the square hole that the original volume adjustment knobs left.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by distantthunder View Post
Unfortunately, I have only completed this on older birds, I was able to go behind the gauges to the top right of the dash and found a hole. Then I ran the wire under the headliner and along the back of the cuddy door to behind the fridge cabinet and to the radio. This was on the older SR1's though.
Well in case anybody is wondering for a future project, I got it! distantthunder, turns out this routing on the SR1is not too disimilar from the 382. I ran it behind the dash into the breaker panel area, then from there above the headliner (popping the lights out to help guid the snake) to the fridge area, and then from the fridge area to behind the radio. If anybody is taking on a similar project in the future, happy to provide more details to save them some time and headache. Thanks everyone for helping!