Blacking out chrome idea

Notices
Formula

Blacking out chrome idea

Old 03-15-2022, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Blacking out chrome idea

Just a random idea. Saw this 223 on Facebook and really liked the black Bimini supports. Got me thinking... I wonder how it would look if you were to black out all the chrome.. the bow rail, cleats, sundeck rails etc. Basically.swap out all the shiny bits for black ones.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I personally like the blacked out look. I think it looks good, newer look, but not for everyone. Like the black headers on the new merc 860s vs polished headers and tails. Powder coating several of the polished stainless pieces in my ZR this off-season.

Last edited by IGetWet; 03-15-2022 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CharlieWhiskey85 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

My dock neighbor did this. They look good, but no idea about durability.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:49 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
My dock neighbor did this. They look good, but no idea about durability.
I think it depends on what kind of powder they do on it. I had all the chrome rails/handles done it white on my old Stinger....even after 10yrs it was still holding on strong! When you touch it it kind of felt like a very hard plastic. I had one very tiny chip in a corner that luckly was covered up with caulking when installed and even if you tried to pick at it with your finger nail it was holding on strong. I was impressed.
On the flip side i had a push bar coated on my old 1996 Tahoe...it lasted about a year and started peeling in sheets....not sure why as i had the whole thing sandblasted clean before the coating....maybe they didn't clean off the sandblasting residue before coating is all i can think of....or a bad batch of the powder?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-17-2022, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I consider the idea to be a giant waist of money and time unless of course there is a lot of bad pitting already and you were going to do something to fix the pitting anyways.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:07 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I just felt the chrome made the boat look dated and having all white railings etc gave it a better updated look... all in the eye of the beer holder!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
CharlieWhiskey85 (03-17-2022), masi242 (03-20-2022)