Notices
Formula

500hp Merc - Gen IV 454 - oil cooler

Old 06-16-2022, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500hp Merc - Gen IV 454 - oil cooler

Hi,

I am now running around 500hp and think it’s time I upgrade my tandem oil cooler for the stock 330hp. Has anyone does this to the 454 running this much power. Specific suggestions on what to buy and setup would be awesome.

thanks
jeff
Old 06-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 689 Posts

Kind of a ***** to do after the engine is in the boat, but if you can get to everything that needs to be replaced, it's not too bad.

Look for parts from a Mercury HP 500. The cooler for an HP 500 is Merc part number 848192T. Mr. Cool makes a replacement that isn't too much money. This cooler goes across the back of the engine and secures with clamps that mount to the ears on the engine cover (CP Performance has them https://www.cpperformance.com/c-732-mounting-brackets.aspx). The cooler is 2-1/8 inch diameter so you'll probably need to fab a way of attaching to the engine cover.

Plan on replacing all of the lines and fittings with a minimum of -10 AN (5/8 ID) and the appropriate fittings. The cooler should have 1/2-inch NPT fittings for oil. I used push-lock hose and fittings on my engines and it came out nice and was easy to put together.

Performance engines should have the oil temperature monitored so look to add a gauge and sender for that.

Good luck. It's a pain in the azz to do after the fact and pretty messy no matter how much you carefully drain out of the lines.

Last edited by TomZ; 06-28-2022 at 08:36 PM.