Prop Work - Worth it?

Notices
Formula

Prop Work - Worth it?

Old 10-04-2022, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Prop Work - Worth it?

My FasTech 292 hits 67.1 MPH GPS at WOT, reliably. I'm pretty happy with everything now that I put 2 new engines in it.

I was considering taking the props to https://www.blackdogprops.com/about-us/ hopefully their prop work is better than their website.

Port has always been a higher RPM at a given throttle level since I got the boat (with old engines and new). At WOT, Port is 200 RPM higher than Starboard.

I match RPMs at cruise/running. I have no noticable noise/vibration/etc or other prop issues. Is it worth the time (and $$$) to have the props gone over? There are some nicks, nothing bigger than an eraser head on a pencil even. They are rather dull looking (20 yrs old).

I wouldn't mind knowing they are 'ship-shape', but at $$$ is it worth the hassle? I wouldn't mind a mirror finiish on them, but I'm also more than happy to buy a buffing wheel/bench buffer for $80 at harbor freight and do it myself this winter.

thoughts?

Merc 350s all stock. Bravo 1s
Runs 5K WOT on port, with 1/4 tank and 1 person. 2 people and more fuel weight runs 4500-4800 RPM (which is spec).
48-831915 28P is the one prop info (don't have other one handy). I assume it's the same, just right hand spin.
I'm not looking to add speed or change props, I think it's correctly setup. Just looking to make sure it's as good as it can be, within reasonable pricing.

thanks
Old 10-04-2022, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Others may have a better experience than me but I had a prop with some nicks and had it “freshened” up. I bent it shortly after. Ran it for a couple years prior with the nicks with no issues. Should have left it alone. Buy new props or leave those alone.

Your drives trim in sync?

Last edited by jtbooten; 10-04-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

My opinion on the matter is if you are going to get them worked go through someone well known like bblades...I would tell him your specs that you listed here and he will give you a price and options. Me personally depending on how you boat most often...I would work them to get your RPM's in the 4800-4900 range loaded with people and fuel...If you happen to be by yourself just know that you may bounce on the limiter if you are low on weight. Also your 200 rpm difference is likely cause by a stretched cable on the one side...doesn't take much to make that much of a difference. I would check the throttle blades with engines off at WOT and make sure they are equal before I made any changes to the props to try and remedy that. Just my thoughts...good luck!

Stewart
The following 2 users liked this post by BBYSTWY:
badmonkey (10-04-2022), Keith Atlanta (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

I wouldn't mind knowing they are 'ship-shape', but at $$$ is it worth the hassle? I wouldn't mind a mirror finiish on them, but I'm also more than happy to buy a buffing wheel/bench buffer for $80 at harbor freight and do it myself this winter.

More to it than that. If you try it, try not to break your arm or drop the wheel on your foot and break it or cut a toe off.

Last edited by Helmwurst; 10-04-2022 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 10-04-2022, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

You might have slack in the throttle cable of the motor that runs at a lower RPM.
My motors always ran the same RPM, this season they did not. I adjusted my cable at the motor and now they do.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know whether different props or worked on props are better. Over the years (and various boats) I have had custom props from Spinelli, but I also have bought new Mercury 4 blade props for other boats after I repowered with more HP. I have had custom work done by Black Dog, they are located in MD and I consider them to be the best in this area. My recommendation would be to call them, tell them the issue and see what they recommend. Maybe do the same with BBlades.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

A lot of people swear by a 'lab finished' prop and others lament the money spent. As discussed many times in many posts over many years, propellers tend to be "black magic" for some. The boat I sold recently had a prop that, when i bought the boat in 1991. had a Mercury Mirage on it. This was in November. Salesman had done some racing in his day and had a lot of experience, so when he offered to "have some work done on that prop", I took him up on his offer. My personal experience was that prop did things no 21" pitch Mirage should theoretically/practically be able to do...so I am a believer.