Decision time. MoPower

Notices
Formula

Decision time. MoPower

Old 08-04-2023, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Decision time. MoPower

After a few years of going back and forth, I’ve made the decision to repower the old girl again. The years keep moving by and the 2009 rebuild/refit is getting more tired each year. What was a low 70’s boat, 525hp a side, is now a 64 mph boat. Slowing down in her old age back to stock specs. lol

Was kinda holding out thinking I’d find a nice deal on a 311(missed that beautiful example a few weeks ago) or maybe a 353. Just hasn’t happened and my short season is coming to an end. Time to start thinking about next year.

The here and now, engines are scheduled to be pulled in a few short weeks on my 88 272. Will do some cleanup and lots of “while I’m there stuff” over the winter. Engine install will be in the spring.

Replacement goals are lots of torque, torque/hp 650+. Must be super reliable engines. Space is beyond tight in the engine compartment. Low maintenance. Also plan on moving to crank mounted pumps due to the tight space!

Guessing this should push the old girl into the low/mid 80’s. Probably will be ditching the silent thunder platform and adding a Mayfair steering setup. Like the look of the platform. Risks to transom and weight seem to be guiding me towards replacement(in beautiful shape tho).

I recognize I’ll never see all the $$ back on resale. Not really the point but do have to consider while throwing $$ at this old bird.

Looking for opinions as many have gone down this road before.

Are my Expectations reasonable?
Anyone have any pitfalls stories to share/think about while doing something similar?

Finally, while researching power options, it’s hard to ignore Blueprint engines. Lots of bang for the buck. Brand new components in a dynod package. Their 540 looks super interesting. See some good threads on OSO. Any other experience out there? Not even sure I could rebuild mine and obtain similar results for the value they offer.

Do have a WTB post up to see if the right engines might be out there somewhere also.

A bit of several thoughts in this one thread but isn’t that how projects go. Lol. appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by Formula_272_SR1; 08-04-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

What are your current engines? That will determine whether or not you can obtain the power you are looking for with pieces of what you currently have.
Ateco has some nice engine packages as well.
I have also purchased some 540, 555 and 565 shortblocks from Ohio Crankshafts and built them up. I have nothing but good things to say about their products.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 08-04-2023 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

Good for you on keeping a 35 year old boat going. But....it is a 35 year old boat. 650+ horsepower and reliable do not typically go hand in hand.

If you decide to put the money into a repower and restoration it is a completely emotional one and not a good financial one. If you want a 80+ mph boat I think it is time to start looking for something "newer". However, even 353 Fastech's are now getting old.

Put some feelers out there and see if there is any interest in your boat as is. At least you'll know where you are starting from money-wise.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:08 AM
Registered

Unfortunately, don’t have the build sheets. I purchased the boat 5 years after the full refit was completed. Engines, gauges, hull redone, gas tank, etc, etc. know it has comp cam roller rockers, stainless marine exhaust and some other misc stuff. Believe it is the original block that got punched out a bit. Not sure on heads. Obviously will know more once they are out and pulled apart.

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
What are your current engines? That will determine whether or not you can obtain the power you are looking for with pieces of what you currently have.
Ateco has some nice engine packages as well.
I have also purchased some 540, 555 and 565 shortblocks from Ohio Crankshafts and built them up. I have nothing but good things to say about their products.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:16 AM
Registered

I totally get it and realize I’m also holding out as the whole industry shifts to outboard everything. Still in the camp that while some EV’s & 6 banger sports cars could outperform my 69 Camaro, I know which one I still prefer. Lol. Part of a dying breed holding onto yesterday. You are right, know financially it makes zero sense.

Originally Posted by techman
Good for you on keeping a 35 year old boat going. But....it is a 35 year old boat. 650+ horsepower and reliable do not typically go hand in hand.

If you decide to put the money into a repower and restoration it is a completely emotional one and not a good financial one. If you want a 80+ mph boat I think it is time to start looking for something "newer". However, even 353 Fastech's are now getting old.

Put some feelers out there and see if there is any interest in your boat as is. At least you'll know where you are starting from money-wise.
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

Nothing wrong with your desire to keep your classic boat. But with your HP and Speed goals in mind you will probably be disappointed and lighter in the wallet.

Do the "refresh" with everything you have. Sounds like the 525's were a good fit when they were new so just rebuild them and go back boating.

Last edited by techman; 08-04-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Formula_272_SR1 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been in your shoes, it's a tough call. I decided to go with the bigger/newer boat and am glad I did.

And FYI on the past boat I put a blueprint engine in it and it ran great for lots of years.
Formula_272_SR1 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I understand where you are at, I am getting close with almost 800 hours on my HP500EFI's.

Granted a bit newer boat but still old. The issue is when we talk about performance V's almost all are old very few made after 2009, that means 14 years old at least. I have no issue with NEW OB's but those are all cats and CC's (Have no desire for a CC), and $$$$$$$$$$$.

I was at a boat show about a month ago, 125K for a 18 foot flats boat with a 90HP on it and only the one little seat. 22 something with a 150 was $225K!

I looked at my wife and said repowering ours doesn't sound so bad now does it?
1983ScarabIII (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Registered

Appreciate the feedback on Blueprint.

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I've been in your shoes, it's a tough call. I decided to go with the bigger/newer boat and am glad I did.

And FYI on the past boat I put a blueprint engine in it and it ran great for lots of years.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

The price of the newer boats is ridiculous in a lot of cases. I just looked at Boat Trader for 353's - you're looking at a buy-in of at least $50k - what new problems will one of these come with? Ones worth really looking at are north of $90k.

The biggest concern with these boats is the inner structure around the tank - if that's all been taken care of correctly and you've taken care to make sure these problems didn't creep back in, there's no reason not to keep your 272 going. Setup correctly, 600 HP in that boat will run into the 80s but you'll hit a wall without doing bottom work or raising the drive. Will it do it as efficiently as a newer stepped hull? No, but it'll still be fun, and it'll still be faster than most other boats that you're likely to encounter on the water.

Cubic inches win. Anything 502-based with good heads will get you where you need to be. A 540 would do it at a lower RPM compared to a 502.

A refresh of what you have and superchargers will get you what you need pretty easily (there's a 311 on fb running in the 90's with 496s and TBS 250s and XRs). Superchargers could get you 650 HP without evening trying!

Look at posts from Endeavor32 - he did a lot with his 292. The 272 and 292 are pretty similar.

Interested in seeing this come together!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.