Prop choices for twin 242LS?

Notices
Formula

Prop choices for twin 242LS?

Old 12-13-2002, 06:09 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Jafo that boats great!!!you better sell the Thunder and keep it!!! I'll see if I can sell it over here for you!
Old 12-13-2002, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Don-
The boat actually sat in the showroom at Great Lakes Marina for about a month at the end of the season- (they thought it was nice enough to sit in there with the new ones). It was just so late in the season, I brought it back to Illinois for a last run on the Mississippi River. It's never been advertised. It now sits in my heated shop at home (this boat has never been outside except when it is being used)
The Active Thunder will probably be sold this winter (it's in Pompano Beach). We are hoping to move up to ?????????

Hope all is well with the family, and looking forward to another run with you next season!
Jim
Old 12-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!!! your moving up again!!!!you the Man!!!buy a big cat will ya? I want a ride Bad!!!All is well here, Autumn is growing like a weed....she looks just like the little girl in monsters Inc. and acts like her too if you watch cartoons like me...Merry Christmas to you and Chris hope to see you as soon as the ice is off.Do you guys go to the boat show in Chicago? We are talking about going....
Don
Old 12-13-2002, 07:46 AM
Banned

Jafo, I just bought one of the WPM tie bars for my 242. I haven't installed it yet (matter of fact haven't opened it). Was it difficult to install? Did you see any difference with it installed?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Don-
We do take in the Chicago show every year, if for nothing else to BS with Marc Blondin at the Black Thunder display (damn, we'd like to have one of those someday).
We usually go on Fridays (all day) to avoid the crowd.

cuda-
Great choice- I had no problems installing the tie-bar. If you do, call them. Their support is as good as the product!
BTW, do a search on OSO about toe-in vs. toe-out: I haven't messed with it yet (installed straight-up), but some say it makes a big difference in handling issues, i.e. porpoising etc.
Jim
Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Banned

Jafo, thanks for the info. I didn't know it could help with porposing. Mine starts to porpoise with the least bit of trim.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Registered

I had a pair of 23" mirages that had been worked by Spinelli's on my 242. I found I had to trim it out quite a bit to get it to run. When it got into 60's had a tendency to chime walk, but that was easily corrected with a touch of tabs.Never had much of a porpoising problem, except when slowed down without tucking drives back in.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:34 PM
The Raven

Default JAFO

Damn
NOW I'm jelious, your 242 is the nicest one I have seen any where.
A few notes and comments: I have the same heads, same roller rockers, both sides.
Like the Q jest, very tuneable, but mine drained back. Even after I epoxyed the fuel well plugs. TRIK : You can shim the secondary mettering rods to richen up the mixture.
PLEASE do not buy a counter rotating alpha. THEY are very weak. A friend of mine in MERC racing "Tim Mayhew" says they do NOT stand up. They are just set up at the factory to run in reverse.
Don't quote me ,but think it is the bearing carrier that gives out.
Mine really chine walked and got way out of hand when I first got it [ twin stock 260s] at around 50 mph. I had the OUTSIDE factory hook ground flat . Damn Nice touch. I called T bird first and they said OK do it !!!! Took out 90% of the walk. Tie bar did the rest.
Yes I did find screwing with the toe in/out some minor diff.
TRY THIS. I now have cold air intakes on Both port and starboard sides. Raise the engine hatch about an inch or two, secure it. and give a full throttle run. See if your RPM or MPH goes up. If so MORE cold air is in order.
Last one for twin alpha drives only. I got a lot of list when in the higher RPMs. I moved both batteries to the starboard side.
Bingo much better.
Thanks guys.
Hey Cuda best to you and your Lady!!!

Old 12-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Raven- Thanks for the compliments!
Very interesting info on the counter-rotater; nice to know before spending the money, especially since there is more than stock hp going into them.
My Q-Jets do bleed back (although very slowly) too.
I will try that cold air trick when spring rolls around if we still have the boat.
As far as chine walking is concerned, I have heard of some Formulas having this problem. This boat has never chine-walked, but does have a porpoise at WOT that must be trimmed out with drives tabs. There is a list as well, not too noticeable, but it is there. I usually just hit the port tab a little more.
Thanks for the tips!
Jim
Old 12-20-2002, 02:29 PM
JON242

Raven, you said you had the hook taken out. I've considered doing that on mine but have heard too many horror stories about the handling getting worse. Did you experience any porpoising without the hook. Formula said they put it there to resolve that issue. Did your top speed go up without the hook?

Quick Reply: Prop choices for twin 242LS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.