craig223 - external steering

Notices
Formula

craig223 - external steering

Old 04-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Scott72

Default craig223 - external steering

Craig -
Been a while since I posted. Took the winter off. So you decided to go with external steering? That's great your going a full system. Do you know which one yet? I just couldn't swing a dual ram full system at this point. Went with single ram IMCO that just came two days ago. Going start installing it once it gets warm up here. Anyway, decided to keep running my 23 pitch Mirage Plus. Don't have a GPS speed, but got it to turn 5200 RPMs. Got the prop from a friend and ran it a couple of times last year. Sent it out to be cleaned up a week ago. Found one blade to be completely out of wack. Engine was built to run up around 5400...so I'm hoping to pick up a 100 RPM's or so with new prop. Platform looks great. May have to do the same for mine soon.

Scott
1989 223 LS

Old 04-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he went with the one from the guys on the board. The one that is in the Tech Q+A area from Maxx and Alfster.

Jon
Old 04-04-2003, 06:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Jon is correct. It is being installed next week by John Richardson (maxx). I made it out on the water yesterday for the first run of the season I was running my backup prop (23 Mirage plus) because of the reports that there was alot of junk floating in the river. Turned it 5100 for a top speed of 68.8 gps in fresh water. Man it felt good to be on the water

Craig
Old 04-04-2003, 06:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Scott,
You might want to try a 4 blade. I can't stand the way my boat handles/feels with the 3 blade. Less stable and actually runs better with little trim, feels kind of heavy in the ass end. My favorite prop for my boat is a 23 Hydromotive. Darin from Houston Propeller has reworked it and I will be doing a comparison test for him to note the differences between a polished finish and a satin finish. Keep your eyes out for this thread in the tech section in the upcoming weeks.

Craig
Old 04-04-2003, 06:40 AM
Scott72

That's great that you already out there. Haven't even uncovered mine yet in CT. Too cold still. I tried a 24 Pitch Hydromotive which was a little too much prop. Could have it re-pitched and labbed, but I was having blowout problems with it. It just didn't seem to like the rougher water of the Long Island Sound. I'm using it as my spare, but still contemplating having it re-pitched. Sounds like we are running pretty similiar motor setups from the RPM's were getting with a 23 pitch. Gonna try a little more tuning this year and a larger flame arrester. My 3X8 eddie marine arrester is too small (had it on my 350 in my old boat), gonna try a larger K&N. Also haven't played with the carb as much as I would like (850 holley - a little big but got a deal on it). Steering sounds awesome, a full system is the way to go from what I have read.

Scott