Wax bottom of boat or not? >

Wax bottom of boat or not?

Notices
Formula

Wax bottom of boat or not?

Old 04-03-2003, 01:41 PM
BUSTNOUT

Question Wax bottom of boat or not?

I've been given different opinions on whether or not to wax the bottom of the boat or not. Will it increase speed or not? How long will it last? Opinions if it's worth it or not?

Old 04-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Unchained

I've read that a waxed bottom causes more drag because because the water clings to a uniform, smooth surface unlike a porus gel coat that breaks up water adhesion.

If you have ever inspected a Merc #6 lower unit you will see and feel a brushed satin finish, and not a polished chrome look or feel.

Products are offered and endorsed by racers. I believed one of them is called Speed "Kote" or Speed "Koat." They are formulated to break water adhesion and reduce drag.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told that a wet sanded botom was faster than a polished bottom because it will hold air and free the hull from the water.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

If you keep your boat in for a week at a time, waxing will keep the slime from growing as quick. Of course, Starbrite Hull cleaner will remove carpet growth so it kind of doesn't matter much. Wax doesnt give any measurable speed increase over a really clean unwaxed hull.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used wax on a 18' Formula with a 200Hp outboard and did see about 1mph increase however it only lasted for one a few hours.

I have also used Quick Craft but saw no increase in top speed. However with the Quick Craft cruise was improved and when you went to slow down you had to give yourself extra room because you could really tell a reduction in drag it just didn’t seem to want to slow down. The Quick Craft lasted for a few outings but still not worth it to me. It also seemed to help with keeping growth from building up on the bottom.

I have also tried the light sanding idea but saw no increase/change other than growth had a better surface to adhere to.

In my experience the best way to improve your top speed is through raising your drive and finding the best prop for your rig and labbing it.

Ian T.