Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats? >

Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats?

Notices
Formula

Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats?

Old 07-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats?

I'm not talking about stripped down race boats with no cabins. Formula owners also buy the brand for all the great features and creature comforts.

It's seems like I've been the Formula R&D for my 382 in offshore conditions. I noticed my headliner had a little 1/8" gap in one area........well at our SCOPE trip to San Diego desination in fairly calm seas, I open my cabin door to this sight. Needless to say, amongst the brutal SCOPE gang, I had a weekend of harrasment from the Cigarette owners, the Fountain owners, the Scarab owners and any other owners.

I had help from 3 guys and we put it all back together, but you could tell that it was not originally put together in the best manner that it could. Part of it was held by staples! Not too great for an "offshore" performance boat.
Attached Thumbnails Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats?-dsc00826.jpg  

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 07-18-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy chit Nort!!!!!
That is totally uncool!!! I have never seen a Formula come "unglued" like that before. If that were my boat, Formula would be getting an earful.

I'll bet you did take some chit from the boys over that deal. Formula needs to know about this and they need to make you happy, like right now!!!!

Did you talk to them yet? (I know, dumb question). What are they saying about this situation?

It's bad enough to have stuff go wrong,,,,,but in front of all your buddies with "other" boats is really embarrassing .

Hope it all works out and Formula makes you happy.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree Nort I think a call to Formula is in order for that one. That is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Registered

It's a little over 2 years old now.....and the nearest "Formula" dealer is in San Diego now! (a 3+ hour haul)

Jeffrey promises me that the "Cigarette Racing Team" put it back together so it will never fall down again.....but the head liner material was damaged (bruised and beat) by slamming up and down on the cocktail table before I noticed this "issue".

This is NOT the first issue similar to this to happen. The air-conditioning unit broke loose from the crappy mounting two times until I re-did it myself. The glove-box cover is a piece of **** that is VERY difficult to repair (still not fixed yet), plus other similar issues. I start to think that the CIG bros are right......but then I get on their boats, and there's nothing to break except an engine anyway.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - I've taken some pretty good hits in mine, but haven't had any issues like that.

Nort - You could break an anvil playing with it in a sandbox!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nort maybe it is the way you drive
Old 07-19-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

Jon-

The way I drive, or the way anybody drives doesn't put staples in to hold the headliner up!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had many similar problems with my 382:

Holding tank ripped out (2 small wood screws holding it),

Cabin Valence falling down (again, wood screws pulling out),

Toilet pulling completely out of the floor (more wood screws),

Wood screws holding the cabin seats and cabinets together pulling out/breaking off,

Radio falling out.

I've learned that it's not an Apache (although my first 41 pleasure version turned out to be even worse than the Formula).

I will say that the 382 is MUCH better built than my 357: the cabin in that virtually destroyed itself in rough conditions.

I agree that T'bird needs to know about these problems, because fixing them would be quite inexpensive, and at their prices these problems shouldn't happen.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Registered

If the toilet ripped out, it should've been delivered back to Indiana and poured over someone's head. Maybe that would wake somebody up. The only thing I broke on my 89 311 was the cabin door at the bottom and that's because I forgot to secure it. Oops..At least I didn't forget to put the drain plug in before I launched it it at the ramp. I've seen that happen and that a big time OOPS...
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

ApachePete

I've had numerous screws broken too. Open the cabin and see a screw sitting on the carpet and have no idea where it came from. Just throw it in the "screw" cup holder and get to it later.

Quick Reply: Does Formula do any "offshore" testing of their boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.