89' 292 from Belaire, Maryland

Notices
Formula

89' 292 from Belaire, Maryland

Old 08-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89' 292 from Belaire, Maryland

This is my first post. I've been hanging around soaking up alot of info from all of the GREAT Formula owners here..I have been looking for a long time to purchase my first Formula.I was wondering if anyone out there would be familiar with this particuliar gem I am real close to buying. The story goes like this...The boat was delivered here to Michigan about 3 weeks ago, Its a 1989 292 SR1 Teal/white.. T-502's built by Tilt racing(They do sound sweet)The silent thunder has been removed.She's got just about everything minus air/heat.The guy who just got it even went and bought a new aluminum tri-axle.the hull has 250hrs.It would be very helpful in the final jump if anyone can give me advice be it good/bad/or just so history. The reason I was told she's got (dynoed 650hp each)502's Is the previous owner wanted to get in to the poker runs?Anyone know this boat????
Old 08-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Registered

I don't know the boat but it sure sounds nice.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard!!!!

I don't know the boat and have not heard of that engine rebuilder (Tilt, maybe you're referring to Full Tilt Marine).

Anyway, why I am chiming in is that I too almost bought a 292. It was a nice clean boat but then I checked out a 311. Let me tell ya, the 311 is much more boat than the 292 and the used prices are almost exact on those two models. The other interesting thing is that with 454 mags in both boats, they are the same speed. I've even seen 311s faster than 292s with the same power. This is true of the 272s also. All three models are so close in speed that it makes no sense at all to buy the smaller ones (at least that was my opinion).

So Rylander, check out a 311 and see just how much bigger it is than the 292. You'll be surprised.

As for the motors, I really don't like buying something thats been built up. Two reasons 1) who did the work and was it done right? 2) most guys that spend money building motors up also spend time beating those motors up.

Good luck and remember, shopping for boats is almost as fun driving them!!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Registered

Thirdbird you are 100% right. If I was to total up the $$$ that I have spent along with the vacation I've used. I could have 1 of each.It sure is funny how some folks come up with prices???. Im pretty much locked in at what i can spend..I have looked at a couple 311's but theres always something that turns me away and that is usually the up keep. If they cant clean out the bilge after doing the maintenance. It stands to show me that maybe they dont care..Well any how I think I came up with a plan to make some $$$ back. Im gonna write a book called..HOW TO BUY A FORMULA BOAT FOR DUMMIES 101....LOL
Old 08-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Rylander
Im gonna write a book called..HOW TO BUY A FORMULA BOAT FOR DUMMIES 101....LOL
You got that right. I trolled these forums for months, finally signed in, and have been learning ever since. I try to search the historical info in the board but sometimes just don't find what I'm looking for and aska new question. The best part is that I have always been answered. Lots of combined knowledge here on the board. Good luck in your quest.

With the market we have, you should be choosy. Don't settle for less that what you want. You can find a clean these days for the same price as the neglected ones. Find the right one.

And if you need help with that book...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Registered

Oh yeah sorry Thirdbird that was Full Tilt Im still waiting to see all the papers first!!.Groove thanks for the reply.I really like this 292. But until I can get somemore wisdom on her.I keep looking. Hopefully someone will know of this 292 and drop me a line.Heck I even told my wife about 0% from formula. She was cool with that until she saw the $$$$$$$$$$ for the 2004's (She bought me the new boattrader)HaHaHaHA.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Registered

Old 08-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger-that on the $$$$$$$$$!! Thats why I buy used ones!

I think I could help you write that book too. My wife and I have done alot of used boat shopping. The crap that some people (actually, most people) pass off "perfect condition" or "mint" or "like new" is just amazing. These people either think buyers are stupid or they just don't have a clue as to what a truely nice used boat should look like.

My 311 is nice, if I were to sell it and represent its condition, I would rate it an 8.5 or so out of ten. Now, I have had lots of people tell me its as nice as an '89 can be. But, I know of little stuff that bugs me that is not perfect, so, I won't call it perfect.

Bottom line, there are some real "anal" boat owners out there that have some real nice rigs. As Groove says, you just gotta find 'em!!

Good luck in the search, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cherry 292 or 311 for you (I'm always looking anyway )
Old 08-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Registered

Rylander.

Glad to see your doing your homework when buying a used boat. I have owned four formula boats from 20' to 36'. It is very frustrating when your misled about the condition of a boat. I don't know where your at in Mich. but I have a 311 for sale. I also own a 357 which is my flagship. I thought I would be happy with the smaller 311 because I run on Torch Lake, which is about 20 miles long and an ave. 3.5 mi wide. I just don't want to give up the room. Anyway, my 311 has 280 hours on hull and the engines are 454's w/40 hours pushing approx 400hp not to radical but reliable. Also boat is equipped w/Kaama surface drives recently pulled off, serviced, new boots, and all new u-joints. All work was done to ensure the boat was right. I would rate this boat mid 8's on a scale to 10. It sits on an Eagle Triple axel which is also in good shape. Just incase you wanted some options.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Registered

Hmmm 311 that rates an 8.5 with Kaama's.

Tell us more

Show us more

Please don't tell me it has the factory yellow paint job...

Quick Reply: 89' 292 from Belaire, Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.