Notices
Formula

docking light bulbs?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM
hq_
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

I try to take a picture next time I stop by at the dock. The stock light is glued in a thick (3/8"?), U-shaped rubber 'cup' that's held in place on the tube by a hose clamp. Very simple and it works, I'd really like to pry the lamp out and reuse the rubber but it's very tight. I'll probably have to break the lamp first and pull it out in pieces with pliers.

A rubber spacer between the bulb and lamp might work, thanks for the idea. Probably heat resistant silicone instead of plain rubber, to avoid melting. The only (slight) problem is that it's flexible and every time you change the bulb, you'll have to make sure it's aligned properly - H3 bulb is held in place with a regular screw instead of twist-in bayonet mount. Back of the bulb isn't a problem, it's sealed tight, but one of the high voltage wires is partially exposed when the bulb is installed in the lamp and moisture is just about the last thing you want anywhere near it.

By the way, what do you mean by 'wireless'? The on/off switch being radio controlled? I'm using the stock docking light switch, wires and fuse to power the ballasts; nothing fancy, just lots more light when hit the dashboard switch.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Aaaah! that was a typo (wireless). I meant so say "waterproof". Sorry bout that.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
hq_
Registered

Ah, ok.

These lamps were more or less waterproof, but not without the metal housings I had to discard, to make them fit to docking light tubes.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
hq_
Registered

Update...

I ended up making an adapter, 30/20mm diameter, 3mm thick aluminum ring I screwed and epoxied to the lamp. I also drilled and tapped it, with 170/190° spacing to ensure that the plastic base HID bulb stays in place firmly. Tightening the screws will provide an airtight seal.

Next I'll have to figure out a way to protect the setup from anchor chain. I've thought about cutting a length 12" PVC drain pipe in half and screwing it to the hull, but that'll have to wait.

They're having a fireworks competition at a bay nearby tonight and I'll try to have this one lamp installed before that. I'll have to navigate back home in total darkness and if there are no coast guard boats around, I just might 'forget' to turn off the docking lights at some point...

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

8000k HID kit
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hq_
Update...

I ended up making an adapter, 30/20mm diameter, 3mm thick aluminum ring I screwed and epoxied to the lamp. I also drilled and tapped it, with 170/190° spacing to ensure that the plastic base HID bulb stays in place firmly. Tightening the screws will provide an airtight seal.

Next I'll have to figure out a way to protect the setup from anchor chain. I've thought about cutting a length 12" PVC drain pipe in half and screwing it to the hull, but that'll have to wait.

They're having a fireworks competition at a bay nearby tonight and I'll try to have this one lamp installed before that. I'll have to navigate back home in total darkness and if there are no coast guard boats around, I just might 'forget' to turn off the docking lights at some point...

Looks like you could have just used a washer?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by keegan

8000k HID kit
Keegan, how did you do your kit? your lights are exactly like the ones on my fountain with the lense covers.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Mine actually is a fountain also. Just bought a cheap fog light kit on ebay (non-sealed) beams. And swapped the HID kit in. Super simple.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

How do the factory lights come out and how did the new fog lights mount in? What HID kit did you use and how did the bulbs mount in the new fog light housings? Did you have to run any new wiring? Can you show a link to the kind of fog lights you bought? any more pics of the install? Thx and sorry for all the questions.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
How do the factory lights come out and how did the new fog lights mount in? What HID kit did you use and how did the bulbs mount in the new fog light housings? Did you have to run any new wiring? Can you show a link to the kind of fog lights you bought? any more pics of the install? Thx and sorry for all the questions.
Not sure what you have, but I was able to access my lights thru my anchor locker. I cut the wires, loosened a hose clamp, and my foglight assembly came right out. The kit I bought is just any 4" round foglight kit. Make sure the housings on the new foglights have the option to swap out bulbs. The factory ones were a sealed beam (have to replace whole light if bulb burned out) there is a rubber sleeve the foglights sit in. I just pulled the factory ones out, and pushed my new ones in. Wired the HID kits to my factory wiring.

Quick Reply: docking light bulbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.