Anyone familar with the F-402? >

Anyone familar with the F-402?

Notices
Formula

Anyone familar with the F-402?

Old 06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone familar with the F-402?

I talked with a retired Formula rigger shortly after I bought mine. He said he thought they built 10 or 12 of them. One of these "rare birds" is still looking for a new home, have to put it up on land next week so I can put the new boat on the lift.

-Greg
Old 06-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Registered

Greg, I've been looking at your boat for a long time, even making plans on how I would update this or change that. Unfortunately, we're on hold until crewmember #2 comes on board this September and we see how the financials shake out. I know you want to sell her (but I'm kinda hoping she still around in the fall...

Hows the CC run?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Still havn't got the Scorpion in the water, have scheduled to switch them next week (finally!). I'd be happy to sell you the boat, but sure hope I don't still have it in the fall.

-Greg
Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 AM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dockrocker,
You need to consider a couple more possibilities that will come up on F402's out there. I bought mine about three years ago. I had been looking at F357's and F402's. I decided on the F402 because of its size and ride. Greg says there were only about 10 built. Well, three years ago I looked at five that were for sale around the country so there may be more out there. (yes - I did rack up some flight miles) Of the five, only two had TRS. One had 540" bulldogs and #3A's. (interesting story about this one with Mercury High Performance division) And two of them, including mine, had Kaama drives. The F402 will never be the fastest boat out there, but my buds in their Top Gun's and Fevers pull way out of the throttles before I have to. I'm pretty sure a couple of these boats are still available. The cabins are a little dated (understatement) but aren't too bad if they have been kept up. I've spent the last three years correcting mistakes made by previous owners and by our beloved formula factory but overall it's a great boat. And with the Kaamas it's good for over 200MPH on the gps!!!!!! (just kidding!!!!!)
Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

Al,

Glad to hear you've got your 402 running well.

-Greg
Old 06-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered

No doubt they are just awesome wave crushers.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Registered

Alj
Hows that beast handle with Kaamas? What kind of power are you running? I have a 357 Kamma and I was curious how cruise speed vs rpm was on your 402. Those 402's are awesome!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:17 AM
alj
Registered

Hey Guys,
Greg, I'm very disappointed that you are selling your F402! How are you doing. I was thinking of you today. I had the fuse block diagram out that you sent me. You would be amazed at what I've done to this stupid boat! I'm now redoing some underdash wiring and getting rid of the glass fuse blocks. I've picked up some carling type breaker panels and putting them in underneath the dash. Much more reliable. I have virtually gone through everything on this boat during the last year. While I was waiting on the new engines I gutted the engine compartment and started over. New 540's are in. Cabin cleaned up nice but the entire toilet/lectrasan system was taken out. Zero discharge here on the great lakes you know! New holding tank, mascerator, plumbing, rebuild toilet....hmmmm this is fun! You guys need to try putting a pumpout hose through the wall where there wasn't one before. It's especially fun in the confines of a go fast boat. Had the entire cockpit reupholstered to original specs. It's really nice but finding the vinyls was fun. Oh did I mention that I completely rebuilt the entire cockpit seat and side panel bases in Starboard????? Actually it wasn't too bad as long as the old plywood pieces weren't dust in order to make a template for the plastic piece. It turned out awesome. Now I'm just waiting for some new stereo equipment, installing the cockpit, Putting the headers and new mufflers on and I should be good to go.(JULY 4TH!!!) Whoo whoo
Perfectmix.... cruise was about 3600 to 3800 rpm at 40mph or so. That was with the old engines. I now have roughly 620 horse on each engine so we shall see...... I'm anticipating mid 70's with this new setup. Great story that you guys will appreciate. Left out of Winthrop Harbor with a 38 Top Gun and a 35 Fountain of some kind in our group and headed to Racine Wis. Perfectmix, you will understand this. I think you cringe when the wind is out of the Northwest on your side of Lake Michigan. Well over here is gets bad when the wind switches to out of the northeast and blows down that longggg lake. Well our group pulled out into winds from the northeast and irregular 4 to 6 rollers. Cranked it up to about 45 and I looked over to my buds in the cig and fountain. Well they are doing everything to hang onto their beers and not wear them. Here's the funny part... I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Are these jamokes all screwing around pretending it's really rough and bad or what??? Why am I thinking this? Well I've got a cocktain in my drink holder and it's not going anywhere, but more funny is that the girl in the portside bolster has a cocktail in a small tumbler sitting on the tray on top of the dash in front of her. That glass didn't move and she didn't spill one drop........ and I couldn't figure out that strange beer smell when we met our friends at the restaurant in Racine. Moral...F402's may be tanks but sometimes tanks are good. Anyway here are some pics. Hope you can see them.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone familar with the F-402?-dvc00198.jpg   Anyone familar with the F-402?-dvc00025.jpg   Anyone familar with the F-402?-dvc00029.jpg  

Old 06-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Registered

Alj

What power did you have before? My 357 cruises about 40mph @ 3800 and 47mph at 4200. I'm only running 454/450 hp engines. and one of them has been sick. I will have two good engines this weekend and hopefully it will make some difference. Please let me know how your boat runs with the 540's. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading this winter. Not sure what props you are running but I have a set of 4 blade 17" * 28p that would fit on your kaama's. Too much prop for my little 454's.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Registered

Hey Josh.

just talked to my buddy at work about your extra props.
he may be interested. he is building a cougar with 850+hp each side and has #4's which will take your props. he has some 26's but does not know if they will be the right props. he is rigging now and hopes to splash july or aug.

i'll give him the diamater and pitch info, I couldn't remember the dia.

I was thinking you had 26's too that you did not need. maybe those are on your 357 now

hope you are runnin this weekend...good luck. and take a high res pic of your rooster tail for me please!!!!!!!!.

Ramb

Quick Reply: Anyone familar with the F-402?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.