Boarded By The Coast Guard >

Boarded By The Coast Guard

Notices
Formula

Boarded By The Coast Guard

Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 AM
Diver

Default Boarded By The Coast Guard

Just wondering if anyone has been boarded by the Coast Guard lately. If so what were the circumstances, and do you feel that you were singled out?

Mike

Old 07-21-2004, 06:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boarded By The Coast Guard

Stopped by Coast Guard for a safety inspection here on Lake Champlain. Also a great bunch of guys. Stated that they were not allowed to board my boat for a normal safety check. I assume that they would board if there was evidence of illegal activity, drunk boating, etc.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:47 AM
Registered

Was boarded at a dock several years up north. Just gave the boat a once over for safety equipment and asked if I had firearms aboard. I said yes. Nothing else mentioned. Were a great bunch of guys.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Registered

Pulled up to my boat at Milw APBA 8/03. They gave my friends boys "safety certificates" for being in compliance with the new PFD full time law for young ones 12 and under.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Every time I go into Boston we get pulled over. You see the same guys each time, and it gets a little tireing, but they are just doing their job I guess..... It does not bother me much really as it only takes a few min, and when you need them they will be there for you, I know they were for me. They have actually told me that they are pulling over all fast boats that leave the Marina Bay area due to some rumors that two of the guys that have boats there are often times drunk when they go out. I have obviously not been in town the last two summers to maybe thiongs have changed a little.

Jon
Old 07-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Registered

I bet they will be busy in Boston with Dem. convention.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to stopped by the Coasties or Marine Police.

They have the right to stop anyone they wish to do an inspection. No reason needed.
Do you feel you were singled out? Why?
Were the officers or Coast Guard discourteous?

You know the maritime rules/laws for stopping a vessel and performing a search are different than those governing homes and personal property.
The Coast Guard doesn't need a search warrent to board and search a vessel and passengers.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered

My expereince with a new (to me) 233LS:

It seems that Texas & NC have differing procedures for where the state's registration goes (before or after the hull ID) and I was pulled over by the NC Wildlife Officer, had my equipment inspected and registration info checked before he told me why he pulled me.

It's my first boat so I had my ducks in a row:

I have a notebook with all of my docs in a clear plastic sheet, notes about maintenence, the original (1981) sales brochure (from Formula's website) and other articles from DIY and Motorboating, user manuals for equipment and other such stuff.

The officer was impressed and said he wished everyone would do this.

The next time he saw me on the water, he came over and started to inspect again. Even before I could go for "The 233 Book" he remembered me from 3 weeks prior and said "Oh that's right, you had the book". (probably thinking 'what a nerd!') and asked if I corrected the sticker.

I had corredcted it and told him so. Since then, I've seen him pull a lot of others but he always leaves me alone.

Point is that if you have it together and are courteous on first encounter, you might reasonably expect that the same person should leave you to your own upon future sighting.

Courteous? Yes.
My ducks in a row? Yes
Annoying? No and I don't expect to be visited by the same person again.

We'll see what happens one day soon when I put this girl in the ICW though...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memorial Day weekend was boarded by Coast Guard at the ramp. They were on me before I even returned from parking the truck! Routine safety inspection. Checked paperwork (documented vessel), life preservers, flares, bilge blowers, flame arrestors, MSD and disabling of macerator. They were very courteous and timely, even apologetic for holding us up when they realized I had everything in order and knew more about boating and equipment than the senior officer.

I consider it beneficial to have this done as a courtesy visit instead of under other conditions. Have the equipment checked out, get the paperwork to have for other jurisdictions considering boarding, get the sticker, and be on your way. It's one less thing to worry about later!

Be friendly and patient, smile and wave the next time you see them out. They do remember boats like ours!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
asked if I had firearms aboard. I said yes. Nothing else mentioned. Were a great bunch of guys.
Russ,

Do you mean you did have firearms on board? What are the regulations regarding firearms on board a vessel and do you need to be registered or have permit to do so?

Quick Reply: Boarded By The Coast Guard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.