Notices
Formula

Speed

Old 07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speed

We went out for about an hour tonite..about dusk ...pretty flat ....did 35 mph @3000rpm .. and 60 at 4600 .. there was some throttle left ....
Old 07-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speed

Down here it was HOT AND HUMID.....that would probably cost you a little speed and the flat water DEFINITELY cost you speed. These 311's like about a foot and a half chop to really get some air under those heavy hulls.

Mike, Swap to some Quad IV's and get your ass end out of the water more. Our boats are extremely "ass heavy". That'll really show up in your cruise speed. I picked up 6/7 mph at 3300 over the Mirage props, and 3 mph at WOT (all gps readings). With the Mirage 23" three blades, I was running 42/43/44 at 3300 trimmed out, and with the 24" Quad IV's I was running 48-51 at same rpms depending on water conditions. Our 311's HATE flat water. Russ
Old 07-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Registered

I found these a cpl of months ago and the guy said he would take 600.00 for the pair ....Checking to see if he still has em ...Also with the indicators on the drives not working right I cant really tell where the drives are ..Course I know feel and speed will dictate where they need to be but the main thing is they are not parallel ..drives me nuts ....on the list to get that right ...
Attached Thumbnails Speed-hydomotives.jpg  
Old 07-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Registered

Mike, if he's still got'em, grab'em.

I rarely look at my drive indicators, I do it all by feel. Irregardless of speed, if I'm on plane, I trim out as far as I can without "porpoising". Even at 2800, I've got the drives tabbed out a hair.

I'm also going to stop hauling around full loads of fuel when I don't need it. Boy that made me feel stupid. I'd always heard full tanks prevent condensation, I'd rather just dump in some dri-gas and save five hundred lbs. Duhhhh......Russ
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Registered

went out about noon ..hot as hell almost no wind ..flat in the lake and slight ripple in the river ...did 59@4600 and 64@4900 ..both directions .....about 44@3300 ....

also a cpl pics of boat house ..comming along ...
Attached Thumbnails Speed-resize-dsc00001.jpg   Speed-resize-dsc00002.jpg   Speed-resize-dsc00003.jpg  

Old 08-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Registered

one more ...
Attached Thumbnails Speed-resize-dsc00004.jpg  
Old 08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's one nice set-up you have there Mike!! Don't our boats just look cool as hell from the front?!?!?

Oh, by the way, get those indicators fixed. Your drives are all crooked
You can't leave your boat sitting there like that with the drives all cockeyed, looks like a twin screw Bayliner or something. Now get out there and straighten 'em up, that's a Formula order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3, 3 and 3 I do 40 mph. That is drives at position 3 (pretty much neutral), planes at position 3 (pretty much neutral) and rpms at 3000, the boat cruises at 40 mph.

Flat out and trimmed out it does about 66-67 mph (speedo) at about 5000 to 5100 rpm. I've seen a tad faster indicated in perfect conditions (1.5' chop) and light load, like maybe 68 mph. This is with standard 23 bravos.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
That's one nice set-up you have there Mike!! Don't our boats just look cool as hell from the front?!?!?

Oh, by the way, get those indicators fixed. Your drives are all crooked
You can't leave your boat sitting there like that with the drives all cockeyed, looks like a twin screw Bayliner or something. Now get out there and straighten 'em up, that's a Formula order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you think thats crooked ? you shoud see it sometimes!!!!! ..Bugs the hell out of me .....it is the next thing to get done ...

Last edited by offthefront; 08-04-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Registered

I would kill to have a boathouse like that. Down here, unless you had a roof on your dock before in 89' you can't put one on. The green weenies complained they were killing the sea grass. Of course trees overhanging the canals provide thousands of more times the shade a roof on a dock would, but it is what it is.

They did "aerial" photography and if your dock shows a roof, you can keep it. Mine as a roof from the "Gazebo" on the dock, and I'm going to reconfigure to be over the boat. However that project is at least three years down the road. Have to get the house finished first, so for the moment, Outlaw is on a trailer, in the drive, with three covers over her, with a fan set up to circulate air for a couple of hours couple of times a week.

That is one friggin nice setup.

Third: you're right, out boats look wicked cool from the front.

Mike, what's wrong with the drive indicators. This is kinda corny, just make sure the springloaded ends of the cables are properly set up against the "circular housing" or whatever that is around the bolts that bolt the tie bar up to the drives. If they are off just a hair, they will slip off the first time the drives are raised or lowered. Just a thought. I had that problem with one drive, when I got it back from having that drive rebuilt, naturally, and drove me crazy till I figured it out.

Quick Reply: Speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.