Onboard Battery Charger Question... >

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Notices
Formula

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Old 10-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Cuda,

In the port side storage compartment there is an adapter to plug in the shore power to a 15 amp service plug. (same compartment as shore power cord)

Not only do you not go in the cabin, you evidently dont go in compartments either.

I wish I had a first mate like Debbie, all you have to do is drive

By the way, the ignition keys are on the dash below the steering wheel just in case Debbie starts it for you too
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Third: Can you tell whether your charger is hooked up and also, is it mounted against the firewall like mine is? I would assume so. Like I said, I've never seen a battery charger that hummed and didn't work. I figure it has to be in the wiring. However, I am going to try to dig in with a voltage tester and see if it's definitely got juice coming out of the charger over the weekend.
Outlaw,
Had a friend of mine who's good with DC stuff check it out. Appears to be wired to the batteries as shown on the schematic. No obvious wiring problems found. Only thing I noticed is that the charger is directly below the starboard K-Plane pump/reservoir. (Yeah, it is located just under the backseat bulkhead just like yours) The caps on the reserviors leak a slight amount and some fluid ends up on the charger. I'm thinking maybe some hydraulic fluid got into the charger through the top vents in the charger case. Maybe that shorted something in the charger. I dunno,,,,,,, just a guess by a knuckle-draggin' mechanic!!!!

I'm thinking I'll pull the charger and take it to an electrical repair shop of some sort and see what they can do.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 302SR1
Cuda,

In the port side storage compartment there is an adapter to plug in the shore power to a 15 amp service plug. (same compartment as shore power cord)

Not only do you not go in the cabin, you evidently dont go in compartments either.

By the way, the ignition keys are on the dash below the steering wheel just in case Debbie starts it for you too
Thanks Bill! You should come up to Palatka next month when we're meeting with the Donzi group.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Banned

Ask Russ who checked and refilled the oil when he was running a card stop on the SOS poker run this year. Debbie and her daughter were both under the hatch checking and filling the oil while I drifted and chatted with Russ.

They were better than a Nascar pit crew. They each had an engine they were responsible for. When was the last time you saw DE Jr check his own oil!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Banned

Okay, throw in the Vette, and I'll trade Debbie to you for Jen. It's the least I can do for a buddy.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Registered

Third, my charger is mounted on the firewall but not directly below the trim tab reservoir. I'm going to track the wiring this weekend and try to find out what's up. I also want to put a voltage meter on the charger to see what's coming out. Russ
Old 10-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Call the charger mfr for a troubleshooting guide. If it fails, check with the mfr to check their repair/upgrade policy. ProMariner offered a great upgrade trade policy and when mine went tits-up I upgraded to their electronic unit for about half of what mail order price was.

Same with an old Ray Jeff unit I had on a houseboat.
And an old Unimetrics dual station VHF that went down (boat sunk) was completely factopry refurbed for a $25 fee.

Never hurts to call and ask.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Call the charger mfr for a troubleshooting guide. If it fails, check with the mfr to check their repair/upgrade policy. ProMariner offered a great upgrade trade policy and when mine went tits-up I upgraded to their electronic unit for about half of what mail order price was.

Same with an old Ray Jeff unit I had on a houseboat.
And an old Unimetrics dual station VHF that went down (boat sunk) was completely factopry refurbed for a $25 fee.

Never hurts to call and ask.
Cool Mcollinstn!!!!!!!! I'll give Guest a call and see what happens. Squeaky wheel gets the grease (or a new charger ).
Old 10-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered

I'm with you on that one. Anybody got a number????