Hats off to older Formulas!!

Notices
Formula

Hats off to older Formulas!!

Old 10-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hats off to older Formulas!!

The age old question that every boater asks at one time or another. Keep it or sell it? I put in hour after hour, mile after mile in the search for my boat about 4 years ago. Back then the market was good and an 86' formula was worth something. I paid top dollar because upkeep and condition mean alot to me. On that note also no matter how careful, and thorough you think you are about inspecting everything you can think of, it always seems that in the excitement, you overlook something and in the end you hopefully end up with a nice boat and a learning experience.

I realize that in buying a boat, you do it to have fun and expect in the end you will probably not get the money you sunk into your boat back out of it so you chalk it up to having great times. In four years like anyone else with an older performance boat, I have put thousands $'s into my boat, including engines, props, stereo equip, cosmetics, covers, PM, and countless other goodies.(notice I didn't say drives? I have KAAMA's run flawless) Most of the stuff I didn't have to do, but I did it because I am a proud Formula owner and even though I have an old bird it doesn't go out looking anything less that perfect. Just like I have seen and heard from most of you on this forum.

It's no secret that these days the used boat market is in the toilet. So now I have a 35' Formula that is worth pennies on the dollar. So where do you draw the line and quit putting money into your rig, cut your losses and upgrade into a bigger payment? On the other hand it's pretty cool if your the only one in the group with an 18 year old boat that turns more heads than the new stuff does. Will we see these older birds come back and start maintaining value again? Or will my 357 be worth $15,000 in two more years? F***-it I will be the proud owner of an 86' 357 till the end before I give it away. As far as I can tell Formula (& Cig) have the largest pre 1990 off-shore market out there. hmm.. wonder why? Could it be that they actually made a boat to stand the test of time? Even though its not worth much anymore, I'm sure glad to have the bird on the side of my boat. My hat goes off to all of the proud vintage Formula owners that keep em lookin new, and use the heck out of em without thinking twice about the age of their boats. Someone should start a thread (Vintage Formula Pics) I know Formula now has this on their website, but seeing real vintage Formulas is much more exciting.

Sorry for long, meaningless thread. It was just on my mind!

Perfectmix
Old 10-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hats off to older Formulas!!

That wasn't a "long meaningless thread". I've had all of the same thoughts myself. Prices are in toilet because of gas prices. Fickle, impulsive buyers won't buy right now because of those high fuel costs. I have one thing to say to those people - they're not REAL boaters.

As for having an older boat, well, I simply can't afford the 1200 dollar payment on a new one. Maybe I should say I don't want to afford that payment because actually, I could if I wanted to.

I see my old "Bird" in the same way people see older cars. These older Formulas (and Cigs, Fountains, Apaches, etc) are like classic muscle cars. Sure, the new stuff is faster and nicer but, like you said above Perfectmix, our old boats still turn heads. They certainly turn my head.

I personally think that an older Formula is the epitomy of American boat design. No Euro-crap, no goofy looking stuff. Just a nice classic set of lines that culminate in what a boat SHOULD look like.

So Perfectmix, I couldn't agree with you more. Keep your old bird and keep it nice.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's funny. I have been thinking the exact same thing about my 357. Besides the Kammas and superchargers PerfectMix and I have the same boat (although his is nicer). It does turn a lot of heads especially with the out of water exhaust and I have never had anyone guess how old it is. Usually people think it is 10 years old not 20 (mine's an '85). But, I do have the same concern. Do I keep putting money in it and expect to never sell it (or sell it for $15,000 in a few years?). When I bought the boat I was certain that the boat would never be worth much less than what I paid for it. But, the way the used boat market is going now I'm not so sure. Plus, if I do want to upgrade it would seem that now is the time. Sure, I won't get top dollar for my 357. But, I won't pay top dollar for a newer boat and interest rates are still low.

So, what to do, what to do???

I do agree that Formula and Cig are the way to go for a used boat. I've said this before but it bears repeating. My dad has had his '83 272 LS since it was new. Over 1500 hours now and tons of air time and it is still a great boat. In fact it's still got the original 350/260s and drives it had in 1983. I know that it's just a matter of time for the 272. One engine has started to use a bit of oil. But, I don't know of any other 22 year old boats with 1500 hours that are I can say so much about.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

I could not agree with you guys more. While the new Formulas do have "upgrades" they also have a what I personally consider "downgrades". Out older Birds, have the classic long snout, short cockpit look to them. My 311 seems to have more snout than a new 353. Again, it's just my own personal taste.

We've all read about the "stepped hull controversy". Formula, according to all the performance reports I've ever read, as far as stability goes, appears to be about the best. I know one thing, my older 311 tracks like it's on rails. I can haul that thing over as hard as I can at any speed and it stays flat azz planted. It has NEVER EVER felt like it was getting "light" in the azz. That feeling of security to me is as valuable to me as anything, I never worry about it.

I just think they have such a "classic look" to them. And I've got a true 31 ft. boat. In comparison, a 312 looks like a 27/28 footer.

So I agree guys, LONG LIVE THE OLDER BIRDS.... Russ
Old 10-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to mention interior room. My 357 seems to have more room in the cockpit and cabin than a new 382. I've been in both but never side by side. I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion but the older Formulas seem to have more room.

As far as the snout is concerned I totally agree. I've tried to figure out why the newer Forlumas look like they have less snout and I think it is due to the windshield. The center of the windshield on the newer Forlumas appears to stick out a lot further and I think that is what may make the snout look shorter. Can it really be shorter? My 357 looks like it has a longer snout than a 382 but I don't see how it's possible because there seems to be more room in the Cockpit also. I think it's my eyes playing tricks on me.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

38.2' overall length includes the swim platform.
35.7' overall lenght does not?

Just a guess.
Uncle Ernie
Old 10-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

27 year old Formula owner here. The damn this is older than me! (and probably better built )
Old 10-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, I could not agree more, I bought my 24LS 3 years ago an I could not be happier. I took the formula to lake Champlian in Vt. this summer an we got into some rough water an this boat handled great. I know my friends thought I was foolish but not one other boat had that look I wanted.

Just another happy Formula owner
Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got the Mac Daddy older performance Formula-an F402 and it is fantastic for it's age. It is slow but it can run 40 in 3-5's with no sweat. I got into it with the idea of cleaning up and reselling but this thing may be for keeps-if I can find some big honkin motors for it
Old 10-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

rambunctious here again

anyone notice the new colors for the 2005 formula's????

black hull side with yellow.. hmmmmmm exactly like my 1988 272 !!!!

timeless.
Attached Thumbnails Hats off to older Formulas!!-flylevel-zoomed.jpg   Hats off to older Formulas!!-2005-formula.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hats off to older Formulas!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.