Kenwood Theft lock

Notices
Formula

Kenwood Theft lock

Old 11-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenwood Theft lock

Anybody have problems with the theft lock feature on their Kenwood stereo? If power is interrupted, the faceplate rotates inward making the unit inoperable. Time and time again, I have had my unit go into this mode and it does not unlock easily or according to the instructions after restoration of power. I have often had to go without tunes ... frustrating as he$$.

I never really liked Kenwood products anyway and I'm thinking of splashing this unit for either a new Alpine XM/CD unit (same as in the RV) or putting in an older high-end Sony CD unit with wired remote I had in the 311.

What is brand/model of the wired remote being used on the dash and swim platform on the newer Formulas? Is it from Clarion and will it work with other brand head units?

Does anyone know if the Alpine XM units will work with a wired remote (they come with a RF remote)?

AudioFN?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: Kenwood Theft lock

Originally Posted by Troutly
Still using Kenwood.
Troutly,

Does that mean the remote is Kenwood also? I haven't been able to get into the Kenwood website to check it out.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Registered

Thank you, sir!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You first need to fix the problem that you are having with the one you have. Unless it has a internal issue then you are loosing power. Fix that problem and maybe you will like the head unit.

Jon
Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up with these remotes I've had 2 Formulas with the Kenwood remotes..neither one worked??..

Is it the remote or the IR diode in the cabin?

I would like to repair or replace this one and install one on the swimstep..best to go thru Formula or Kenwood dealer??

Also anyone istalled XM to the Kenwood?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned the hard way about the Kenwood rotating faces. Most have a pressure switch in one corner of the faceplate,location varies with model. I usually just press and hold each corner until I find the one that flips it back around. A few years ago before I knew this we were having a Christmas cruise in a new 31PC and the face would not open. Since we had a few Christmas CD's to play and a bit of Christmas cheer already consumed, we just knew that we could roll that faceplate back over with my Swiss Army Knife. NOT! We cruised without music and replaced the destroyed unit later. But I really do like Kenwood,it has a much lower failure rate than many of the other brands,we have very few warranty claims,and I guess all new units are kind of complicated to me anyway. I doubt Formula would continue to use KW all these years if the overall performance was not good.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
You first need to fix the problem that you are having with the one you have. Unless it has a internal issue then you are loosing power. Jon
I have resolved the electrical problem that I was having with the batteries not charging. The other problem was simply not being able to use the boat often enough this summer. I hope for that to be cured next season.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Fix that problem and maybe you will like the head unit.Jon
It's not a matter of the quality of Kenwood per se. I just feel they are overly complicated with way too many features ... you need to carry the instruction manual with you to get the unit to perform simple operations.

I could do without the frustration of the Theft lock feature. I would like to just be able to turn the stereo on without having to carry an instruction manual or big dive knife.

I would also like to have XM as I have it in my RV and would prefer it over Sirius because I am familiar with programming. I would also get a big discount ($6.99/mo. for additional recievers) with XM.

The older high-end Sony did all the same things, but was much more simple to operate and was of equal or higher quality. I think the new Sony stuff is not as good.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
It's not a matter of the quality of Kenwood per se. I just feel they are overly complicated with way too many features ... you need to carry the instruction manual with you to get the unit to perform simple operations.

I could do without the frustration of the Theft lock feature. I would like to just be able to turn the stereo on without having to carry an instruction manual or big dive knife.

I would also like to have XM as I have it in my RV and would prefer it over Sirius because I am familiar with programming. I would also get a big discount ($6.99/mo. for additional recievers) with XM.

The older high-end Sony did all the same things, but was much more simple to operate and was of equal or higher quality. I think the new Sony stuff is not as good.
Dog !! showing your age now ! I know the feeling not being able or SEE how to operate these new fangeled electronincs.....
Old 12-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Dog !! showing your age now !
Mike,

Jeez ... thanks for pointing it out! Now I understand the problem.

Quick Reply: Kenwood Theft lock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.