67@5000rpm

Notices
Formula

67@5000rpm

Old 12-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 67@5000rpm

when out for about an hour ...opened new motor up for about 30-45 seconds ... 67mph on the speedo ....forgot the GPS ....Something poped though ....I think maybe one motor backfired ..... not good ? hope it wasnt another fuggin valve ... I stopped and checked everything and it seems ok ... oil pressure and temp are fine motor sounds smooth ....went back to WOT and 67mph ....I didnt think the motors would turn the 23 Hydro's 5K but guess they will .... NO power steering at low idle ...I shut down the motor and turned it lock to lock a few times and it seems better .....Always something .... oh ...nice day ....
Old 12-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 67@5000rpm

Mike, remember, running the Hydros are giving you much more stern lift than the Mirage props, thus a lot less drag. That's why you can turn the rpms you are seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still turn the 5 K rpms with a set of labbed 25's.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the power steering, probably a non-issue. Just needed to be bled a bit. Lock to lock a few times is usually all thats needed to bleed the air out.

That "pop" is a little unnerving!! Probably just "breaking" in.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
As for the power steering, probably a non-issue. Just needed to be bled a bit. Lock to lock a few times is usually all thats needed to bleed the air out.

That "pop" is a little unnerving!! Probably just "breaking" in.
Scared the crap outa me .. just knew it was another Valve ...still might be ...So much fun !!!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Mike.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered

Russ any progress ? 80 degrees this weekend ....
Old 12-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Russ any progress ? 80 degrees this weekend ....
As a matter of fact, yes. Pulled the threaded plugs out of the risers tonight and installed the threaded hose couplings. Had to go to five stores to get eight of them. Just got through cutting down the last three exhaust hoses so the length is correct. Except for some misc. nuts and bolts, I think I have everything I need. Am only going to work half a day tomorrow and then come home and start bolting everything up.

I have to move my new Racorp fuel/water seperators slightly, one is touching the maniold and the other one is too close. Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet, I just had those SS couplings made up but that was with the old exhaust system on, not the new one. The new one extends forward about half an inch further, so I think I'm going to just make a flat bracket, put that on the posts, drill two new holes in the flat bracket and mount the SS couplings to the flat bracket. Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Now Cuda's got me worried since I haven't turned the motors over since September, they might be seized up.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I wouldnt sweat it Russ if you have oil in them they are fine, may just want to remove plugs unhook coil wire and a squirt of oil or two in each cylinder to prime them, turn it over and watch gauge. do that on each motor before you run them and you will be fine. Ive seen motors sit longer w/ no problems.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Registered

I'm not worried about it. They should be fne.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS.......
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Banned

The problem is if Russ's engine room is like mine, pulling the plugs is damn near impossible. If I had one sit that long, I would pull the plugs if possible, and give them a squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil. While I had the carb off my engine for a couple weeks, I squirted a shot of it down the intake runners hoping it will reach the cylinders. That MMO is some wonderful stuff. The first boat I ever bought was a 72 Jon Allmand with a seized up 155 OMC. I had no idea how long it had been sitting. I put all kinds of stuff in the cylinders and would hit it a couple times every day with the starter to see if it would turn. This went on for well over a month. Then I used the MMO, let it sit overnight, hit the starter the next day and oil came flying out of all the cylinders. I've been sold on it every since. I bought a jet ski with a seized engine. Put the MMO to it, and it turned over the next day. Great stuff.

Quick Reply: 67@5000rpm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.