Drive indicator cable length???

Notices
Formula

Drive indicator cable length???

Old 01-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive indicator cable length???

One other problem I noticed is my starboard drive indicator cable is stuck. There is a spot worn through down by where it hooks up to the drive and a split about two inches further back and it looks pretty rusted. I squirted PB blaster down through it all day Friday and Saturday but it still won't work.

Gusman told me I need to know the length of the cable. Anybody know this by any chance?????? Thanks. Russ
Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Drive indicator cable length???

Russ,
I was in the "same boat" last year . I called the Formula tech line with my HIN# and they gave me the length
Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Registered

Thanks.. R
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

You may not want to hear this, but you may want to consider doing all of them. I would like to take whoever at Merc designed that indicator panel on the dash out into the parking lot and open a can of whoop-arse! The cable only has to move a little piece of plastic, essentially no load or weight, but they had to bolt it to the damn indicator?? They should have had some type of quick disconnect on the bottom of the panel so you don't have to remove the panel and take it apart while fighting with 4 cables that don't really bend much. Personally I found this job, at least the K-plane cable which is the same as the others essentially, to suck, and would prefer not to do it again. However, I only had the one cable, so I'll be in there again if another goes unfortunately - with the other 3 cables!

If you plan on keeping the boat a while (which seems to be your intent, I'd look into doing them all. And the price is a rip off on those cables too.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaybird
You may not want to hear this, but you may want to consider doing all of them. I would like to take whoever at Merc designed that indicator panel on the dash out into the parking lot and open a can of whoop-arse! The cable only has to move a little piece of plastic, essentially no load or weight, but they had to bolt it to the damn indicator?? They should have had some type of quick disconnect on the bottom of the panel so you don't have to remove the panel and take it apart while fighting with 4 cables that don't really bend much. Personally I found this job, at least the K-plane cable which is the same as the others essentially, to suck, and would prefer not to do it again. However, I only had the one cable, so I'll be in there again if another goes unfortunately - with the other 3 cables!

If you plan on keeping the boat a while (which seems to be your intent, I'd look into doing them all. And the price is a rip off on those cables too.
Jay, it's a boat how can we expect anything to be easy, besides, then the Merc mechanics couldn't justify their stratospheric rates.

The cables on the port engine were changed when my drive was rebuilt just before it went down New Years for the water in the carb bowl problem which eventually led to everything else.

For the record: cable lengths are:

Port motor: both cables are 23 ft.
Starboard motor: drive is 22 ft., trim tab cable is 18 ft.

Courtesey of the Formula Tech boys.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Russ just changed mine ..well shop did ...I'll try to find out the length ....
Old 01-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Russ just changed mine ..well shop did ...I'll try to find out the length ....
Mike, thanks, read post # 5. We posted two minutes apart.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Registered

If it is a Morse Cable, the length is in the part number on the control cable. On my 272 SR1 the port is a 301947-003-264, and the stbd is a 301947-003-252. 264 inches and 252 inches in length.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Registered

Wouldn't you know, that I was working on the boat today, and I found one of my cables went bad! Phuck!! Now I have to decide whether to do the other 2 I haven't replaced as well...
Old 01-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Registered

I shoulda done all mind when I had the port outdrive rebuilt, but the mechanic (NOT Gusman) did not suggest it and I didn't think of it. If you can afford it, I would, peace of mine for next five years.

Quick Reply: Drive indicator cable length???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.