Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula tow vehicle discussion and other questions. >

Formula tow vehicle discussion and other questions.

Notices
Formula

Formula tow vehicle discussion and other questions.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Formula tow vehicle discussion and other questions.

Chuck, i sent you a pm, i tow mine with a lowered dually, but I love my big truck. There is a couple marinas that have boat-tels near you, usually around 2500 per season to rack keep it, and they can handle a 311 no problem. Podickery point and south river are two of them. i happen to like the ramps at Sandy point, but I"m buying a bigger boat so I may get a slip this year.

Rob
Old 02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offshore,

Thanks for the message and would like to take a look once the boat is unwrapped if it doesn't sell before then. Of course need to have one toy at a time so my plan is to "dewinterize" my boat after Easter and start advertising again.

I thought about rack storage on the South River, received a quote from a marina in that area. My concern though is security, a 311 would be on the bottom rack. I read the local paper and it seems like props and outdrives disappear quite a bit in that area.

Another option would be a lift, probably about the same price. Finding a lift slip (or even a boat slip) at a reasonable price in the Annapolis area is tough these day.

But both worth researching. I think I'd prefer a lift or towing to rack storage. With rack storage you need to get back to the marina before closing time in many cases.

Decisions, decisions, but I suppose I could have worse problems then deciding which bigger boat to buy.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck21401
Offshore,

Another option would be a lift, probably about the same price. Finding a lift slip (or even a boat slip) at a reasonable price in the Annapolis area is tough these day.

But both worth researching. I think I'd prefer a lift or towing to rack storage. With rack storage you need to get back to the marina before closing time in many cases.

Decisions, decisions, but I suppose I could have worse problems then deciding which bigger boat to buy.

My buddy will be offering his hydrohoist in the deal with his 311, along with a storage trailer.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula1
I've been considering selling my 292SR1. It is a 1990 with twin 454 mags (only 325 hours!) and a triple axle Eagle trailer. I'm considering a 280SS or 330SS. With the 3 bladed Mirages, it topped off at 70 MPH. But, I don't ever run it that hard. Usually 45-55 MPH is best, especially with the wife and kids.
I think you're probably right about having the right truck or too much truck. I'm thinking now maybe a F250 or Chevy 2500 dedicated to towing that is a couple of years old. I think a $5-7K used truck would do the trick? I'll have to look.

Sounds like a nice boat with low hours. Keep me in mind later this spring. I wouldn't run at 70mph for long either, just once in a while for kicks. Last year wife and I took the boat from Rhode River over to St. Michaels, MD (meaningless to those that don't know the bay, basically a 25 mile lunch trip) in the 242. It was one of those perfect no wind clear blue sky days. Did 40mph all of the way over. Coming back a Scarab was up ahead of me. Opened it up and ran with him at 55mph for about a minute. Great speed to cruise at. Anyway at some point he noticed I was chasing him, put the hammer down and that boat was gone! So it would be nice to know that I could run fast if I wanted to...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a thread in General Discussion about towing you should read. My Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 pulls my 311 all day long ... BUT ... it's over the rated capacity for the vehicle and Outlaw said my insurance could be void if I have an accident.

Here's the link:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=95701

My 311 cruises easily around 35, tops out around 65 just like everyone says. I've got the original 454 Mags, everything still stock.

Last edited by wantsa311; 02-08-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Registered

There's a thread in General Discussion about towing you should read. My Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 pulls my 311 all day long ... BUT ... it's over the rated capacity for the vehicle and Outlaw said my insurance could be void if I have an accident.
That's what I'm talking about! Heck, I even changed my hitch to a class V just to be safe!

Chuck, let me know some more info on yours. Depending on where we move, maybe we could work out a trade! I used to have a 242ss.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Registered

Don't forget a well ajusted trailer with the proper tongue weight and brakes is also a big help if you are borderline.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Chuck, let me know some more info on yours. Depending on where we move, maybe we could work out a trade! I used to have a 242ss.

Some details and pics on the Ches. Powerboat Assn website
http://www.cbpba.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=1931
Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

If we move up North, might need a lake boat! Ya know, do some skiing and all that stuff. Almost tried it this year with the 292. We tried to take the 292 to Deep Creek Lake in MD, and they said the boat was too big! But, they'll let 30' pontoon boats on the lake! When I asked why, they said those boats are too fast! But, they will let a 26' boat with a max of 600 HP on the lake I certainly think that combo would be alot faster than mine...
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuck21401
Some details and pics on the Ches. Powerboat Assn website
http://www.cbpba.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=1931
That price in the listing was optomistic....I'm thinking $14K.

Quick Reply: Formula tow vehicle discussion and other questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.