Calling All Formula Owners!!! >

Calling All Formula Owners!!!

Notices
Formula

Calling All Formula Owners!!!

Old 03-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Calling All Formula Owners!!!

Originally Posted by Croozin2
1) 1989 F311 SR1 T461's & Bravos
2) Damn shame, I don't even know what they called this graphic package but it still has a great finish.
3) 1998 Chevy 3500 Dually
4) New Props, Gauges and maybe a pair of Sea Demon carbs

Hoping to convince the wife that we really NEED a 382
I too have the same graphics on my 89' 272. Maybe "Cuda" or "Formula Outlaw" would know? These two are the "Guru's" of early model Formulas. How about it guys?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
I too have the same graphics on my 89' 272. Maybe "Cuda" or "Formula Outlaw" would know? These two are the "Guru's" of early model Formulas. How about it guys?

Sheesh, I feel like I've got a camera trained on me. I went into the Formula website and tried to find out what graphics package that was. It's quite similar to what I had on my 85' 242 LS.

I better sideshot would help so I could ID the colors better. I will find out. My curosity is now in gear.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Chuck, had an engine shop here in South Louisiana do my bottom end and heads (Diamond Engine) and had Kip at Cam Motion grind a cam for it. Claims this package has made as much as 512hp on previous builds. Didn't have mine dynoed.

.030 over 9.5:1 CR JE pistons (up from 8.75:1)
Balanced rotating assy
Cam Motion custom grind single pattern hyd cam (236 @ .050, 561 lift, 112 LSA)
GM 990 Rectangular Port Heads
Mild cleanup on the heads
Crane Gold Rockers
Ferrea Valves (230/188)
Stock Mercruiser Dual Plane Aluminum Intake w/1" spacer
EMI Thunder Exhaust w/stainless risers
Crane HI-6 Marine Ignition w/Crane Coil
Holley High volume marine fuel pumps
Q-jets that now have velcro instead of screws so I can disassemble them quicker All kidding aside I couldn't tell you how many hours of tuning went into the carbs. I know Holleys or BGs would have been easier to dial in and would make more power but I'm a hard-headed old Super Stock drag racer. BGs will probably be added soon.
Stainless crossovers and thermostat housings
Lots of fresh powder coating and braided hose.
I also changed the rotation on the props from out to in. Won't do that again. Made handling around the dock more of a chore.

Don (Diamond Engine) really does a bunch of research on friction reduction. He and his son are now heavy into AMA Pro-Star motorcycle racing and Karting too. They have seen increases of .5hp on a 5hp B&S kart motor just by working with bearings. That's 10% just by reducing friction.

All-in-all, the motors are very conservative but gave me approximately a 9 mph increase. Went from 62-63 @ 4800-
5000rpm to 71-72 @ 5500-5600rpm w/23P Mirage 3-blades.
Haven't changed the 23P Mirages yet as I rarely ever run it WOT anyway. I plan to put some Mirage 25P or Hydromotive Q-IV 24P and that should not only increase my cruise speed (where I want the increase) but WOT as well. I also re upholstered the interior while the boat was down. It was an expensive venture but, hey, that's what boats are.

If you are running 500 plus HP per side, I would think you could run at the very least 26 pitch Hydro Quad IV's easily.
I would try even 28's first. I'm running 24's and am spinning them well past 5,000 with my basic 454 mags with EMI Thunder exhaust, Stainless Marine thru hulls, and NO SILENT THUNDER BOX.

Those Quad IV's are going to give you much needed stern lift, and decrease drag tremendously. This is the reason which allows 311 owners to go opposite "the norm". Usually when changing from a 3 blade to a 4 blade you decrease an inch or two in pitch. But the decrease in drag is so much that on our boats you can go up in pitch however this only works with the Quad IV props. The Bravo four blades won't do this.

I'd certainly try at least a 26 inch pitch Quad IV first. My gut feeling that with that HP, and running 24's, you'll spin those motors right off the tach.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 03-27-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

93 336 Formula new to me last year. Replaced original cover with new purple sunbrella cover. Removed rattling silent thunder box and replaced with HPI transom mounted mufflers (thanks Tres), new Alpine CD player and speakers to replace original Kenwwood cassette, and replaces black steering wheel with new Momo purple (thanks Fred).

Had my mirage + props lab finished over the winter and have a set of hydromotives to try

Boat's deck needs a good compound /wax to bring back some shine and my normal spring meticulous cleaning.

For towing my boat the 5 miles to put it in this spring I have a 04 2500 Suburban with new hitch rated for the boat. Only other towing will be to clean bottom a couple of times over the summer and to fill up at the same time to save $$$ on gas.
Attached Thumbnails Calling All Formula Owners!!!-dca-formula-336.jpg  

Last edited by powerguy; 03-27-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered

1) 1989 F311 SR1 T461's & Bravos
2) Damn shame, I don't even know what they called this graphic package but it still has a great finish.
3) 1998 Chevy 3500 Dually
4) New Props, Gauges and maybe a pair of Sea Demon carbs

Hoping to convince the wife that we really NEED a 382
I hope you weren't expecting a flashy name for the graphics, because it looks like "Blue #1 Imron". And I have to say that on my 89 272, the gel needed some buffing to get it nice, but the paint looked new.

If you go to Formula's website, there's a section called Vintage Formula that has a lot of the old brochures in .pdf format.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

95 271 I bought Dec. 2003 with the #4 Bermuda graphics. I keep the boat on a 6,600lb hydrohoist lift so I don't have a tow vehicle, however, my old man has a F-350 Dually diesel that I use when I need to pull it. Like the middle of last summer when I hit something submerged and lost the lower unit, oh well, ..it happens! Not much in store for upgrades this year, I'll be lucky just to be able to afford gas for it (glad I didn't go for twins)! I do have to replace the vinyl on the engine hatch. I love the Formula craftsmanship and quality. My only complaint is sleeping in the boat around late July and the 1st of August. It gets hotter than 2 rats F'n in a wool sock!
Attached Thumbnails Calling All Formula Owners!!!-formula-resize.jpg  

Last edited by dawiz74; 03-27-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

- 1991 242SS 454 w/ Bravo
- Aluminum Trailer
- I don't know which graphics option it is.

Just bought the boat, looking forward to launching and using it this summer.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one tpenfield,

What colours are on the boat?

Any pictures of her?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1987 311 with twin 454's and TRS drives
Attached Thumbnails Calling All Formula Owners!!!-north7.jpg  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:22 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VelocityMike
1987 311 with twin 454's and TRS drives
Nice, is the black as shiny as it looks?

Quick Reply: Calling All Formula Owners!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.