Notices
Formula

Painted boat name removal

Old 03-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted boat name removal

How is a good way to remove a boat name from the transom of a Formula that was painted on? Think there was athread once in General Discussion but I can't find it.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Painted boat name removal

Robert ....there was a post about using oven cleaner to remove paint from gelcoat ...I would verify it first ...bust seems it lifted imron right off gel ... Also Formula Outlaw (Russ) sanded his grafics off ther rear of his 311 after removing the Silent thunder .... Looks like it was never there ....
Old 03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I used Easy-OFF oven cleaner and shaved it off with a razor blade. It took a lot of time, and you will never get it completely gone. Some of the paint stays in the pores of the gel. However, once you vinyl letter or paint over it, you will never see it.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Isn't there some stuff out there specifically for that purpose-- Goo Off ? I'd check with on of those vinyl sign shops or car detailer to get something that isn't going to do more harm than good
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorsche
Isn't there some stuff out there specifically for that purpose-- Goo Off ? I'd check with on of those vinyl sign shops or car detailer to get something that isn't going to do more harm than good
I think that your talking about goop off, that stuff works great, but never tried it to remove a boat title off gel coat.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered

A friend used Easy Off on his boat - couldn't tell that there was anything there after a good buff / compound. I don't think Goo Gone would work on paint - works great on other things though.

A mild wet sand could do it too.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Robert,
If your talking about the "Never Satisfied", that paint actually came off a bit with a scrub brush and soap! I had to be careful when I washed the transom. I think the Easy Off would do it!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:08 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Re: Painted boat name removal

I used easy-off as well and buffed the hell out of it, worked good can hardley tell
Old 03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Also Formula Outlaw (Russ) sanded his grafics off ther rear of his 311 after removing the Silent thunder .... Looks like it was never there ....

Yeah, but it was a lotta work and it still ain't completely done.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Acetone will remove the paint and not hurt the gel. Should be enough to just do that but if the name has been there a long time, the surrounding gel will have faded somewhat from exposure. In that case, if the exposure/chalking isn't excessive, a mild wet sand with 1200 paper wil bring it up nicely. A little buff after that and there wil be no trace.

If you need to wet sand, don't do the 600 grit thing like alot of people recommend. That is just way more aggressive than necessary. You'd only need to start with 600 if you've got a real basket case on your hands. 1200 or even 1500 will work fine. Use a padded sanding block and keep the water on it. You should always start out with the least aggressive paper that will do the job.

Quick Reply: Painted boat name removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.