Notices
Formula

Looking for Prop

Old 03-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for Prop

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I'll give Darin at Houston a call and see what he offers as advise. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can someone get me Darin's # at Houston? I can't find it online. Google search comes up with a few different hits and want to make sure I call the right place. Being a Jersey Guy, not that familiar with Texas. :-)
Old 03-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Call Darin at Houston Propeller @281-580-7767 tell him your from OSO.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If interested.... I have a 22P Bravo 1 that I need to sell and in like new condition. $300 plus shipping. Contact me via PM if interested.

Travis
Old 03-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Registered

If anyone is interested...

I have been researching my ARS off about props recently! Here is a little comparison I got from Throttle up about props HP and RPM. Here is what I gathered...

Your boat should have the biggest prop it can run so that WOT RPM matches your peak HP RPM for maximum top speed. If you have a stock engine the Mercruiser WOT RPM reccommendations should be fine. If you have modified your engine and have DYNO results your doing even better.

Here is the scenerio...
89 357 SR-1 TRS drives 454 420 hp
23P Mirage 5800RPM 60 MPH (Mercruiser reccommended WOT RPM 5000-5200RPM) Obviously needs more prop and should not be run past 5200RPM.

A 23P Mirage plus should run 5650 RPM (Gain MPH in cruising and some top end also)Reason: More cup on the blades

A 22P Bravo 4 blade 5600RPM (Gain MPH in cruising and some top end also)Reason: 4 blades = More bite in water gives boat more lift which equals less drag and more speed all around.

This engine combo probably could use :
25P Mirage PLus = 5250RPM or
24P Bravo 4 blade = 5200RPM

There is also one more thing to consider: there is a difference between Bow lifting and Stern lifting 4 blade props. My opinion seems to be more owners of older NON-stepped hulls can use a Stern lifting props like Hydromotive 4 blade. Newer stepped hulls are better off using the 4 blade bow lifting props like the Bravo 1.

This is what I have gathered. I would like to try some props this summer to see what kind of actual results I can get in the real world. Moving back to LOTO this summer, had enough of NY cold.

And this is my .02 ! Feel free to scrutinize and correct. Im only human.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Smile Re: Looking for Prop

F377
Thanks for this information. I also talked with Throttle UP and they were ready to put me through the test. This was last year right around the time I was ready to pull her out for the season. My 242SS is running 5200 WOT with the 21P Mirage. I took advise from some of the replies to my post and called Darin at Houston Prop. I talked to Darin and gave him my scenario. Believe it or not he had me look for a 19P Mirage Plus! I found a brand new one on E-bay and Darin now has it in his hands as I type this. He told me that he is doing his magic with the pitch of the blades and adding an accelerator kit, along with a Flo-Torq hub kit. Don't know what I'm in for but I am hoping for good things from Darin. He told me that once i get this new prop on, I'll never want to sell it! lol

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome. I should be dropping her in by the end of April.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

CL
Any idea what an accelerator kit, along with a Flo-Torq hub kit does ? All new to me

Definately keep us posted. I will not be making any changes to props unitl my boat is complete and in water.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

F377

Darin tells me the accelerator kit will get me out of the water VERY quickly. You probably know that our boats are heavier than the average. Mine is a DOG coming out. The Flo-Torq is the hub kit that needed for Bravo I outdrive. We shall soon see! lol
Old 03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

Cleaster:

Not to throw another log on the fire here. I have a very good friend that had a 242 and he had a 454 bored and stroked to 496, dynoed just over 500hps. The prop that worked best for him was a Hydromotive Quad IV. 24p. Unlabbed he saw gps speeds of 68-69 @ 5300. He had it labbed and ended up having motor troubles. Never tried it after that. They predicted low 70's. He since decided to install a new 454mag in the boat and sold it. He put the stock 21p mirage back on it. He still has the labbed Hydro and he will part with it. It made the boat handle 100% better all around. If you are interested I will get you his number. Even if it is to talk about 242 performace. I know his ran very well.
Good Luck
PM
Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

PM:
Thanks for the insight. You do speak some sense. When I talked to Throttle Up last year they also wanted to try a Hydromotive 4 blade first for a baseline. I gather that this prop is a "stern lifter" from what I am reading in this thread. I invested the $$ into this new Mirage Plus and Darin's to be "magic". But i would love to talk to your friend as well. Let me know how I can contact him. Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for Prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.