Formula 311 Values ?????

Notices
Formula

Formula 311 Values ?????

Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Formula 311 Values ?????

Once the weather breaks (and I sell my 242!) I'm going to be looking for a bigger formula. The list includes the 272, 292 or 311. (I know, I know, get the big one.)

I too have looked around at what I could buy for X dollars. I would rather have an older Formula then many of the newer boats on the market.

I would agree with others and lean towards the boat with the Bravo drives. There may be nothing wrong with TRS drives/transmissions, but I think the perception is out there that the 89+ models with Bravos are more desireable which will help with resale later. It has taken me a couple of years to learn that you need to think about resale when buying something like a nice car or big boat.

As I look for a new boat I want something in excellent condition and will pay a bit more to get one that is really nice. With used boats I'd rather pay for excellent condition on the front end vs. repairs on the back end.

In terms of the 311, I've seen prices in the high 30's to 40K++. I'm not sure how much they are actually selling for...but think that a nice 311 would be worth $40K to me. I always hear about "book value" but it has been pointed out to me that "books don't buy boats."

Good luck with the search.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
And then he put tons of hours in it to make it one of the nicest 311's I've ever seen
Hey Offshoredrillin-

Thanks for the complement! I just built the boat the way I wanted it. Sometimes I think the projects are as much fun as being able to use them.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 03-22-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgduck13
. Sometimes I think the projects are as much fun as being able to use them.

I agree, although fun might be a tad strong of a word. Challenging is more like it, and when done, satisfaction.

We need to either up, or lower, our "doseage" as the existing prescription ain't workin' for us....

Seriously though, when you do a rather large project yourself, and it actually comes out somewhere near right, it is a MAJOR feeling of accomplishment.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered

Kind of off-topic - didn't Merc make some changes to the B1 drive in 1991 or so? I thought I read that the 89/90 drives were a little different than the 91+?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Kind of off-topic - didn't Merc make some changes to the B1 drive in 1991 or so? I thought I read that the 89/90 drives were a little different than the 91+?
I HAVE HEARD THAT ONE TOO.
THOUGHT IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE IMPUT PINION/GEAR IN THE UPPER?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Registered

damn, everyone bustin' on the 311's with TRS! I agree that the Bravo is probably an easier sale, but definitely not a better drive than TRS having owned both. Mine works flawlessly. Not for sale right now though.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered

There are pros and cons of both drives. Although I would probably lean towards a Bravo powered boat, I would not rule another one out just because of TRS drives.

Plus the TRS shifts a whole lot easier than the Bravo's and can handle more HP. Just not as hydrodynamic, adds more "dead weight" over the props and like stated above, cramps the engine compartment even more.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Offthefront,
You got a gooooooooood lookin' boat
Old 03-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Registered

I have an 88 f-311. I would agree with the folks above. You can find them priced from about 35k and up. 40K seems to the going price now. A survey is definitely money well spent. I think that when you first get a boat, you don't mind doing some work on it. It can be frustrating that what seemed like a small task can turn into a major project. You do want to be careful, on the other hand, these boats are tough to beat. They ride and handle awesome. I took Formula outlaws advice and obtained a set of hydromotive 24 pitch quad 4's. They were worth every penny. What kind of rig do you have to tow with?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
There are pros and cons of both drives. Although I would probably lean towards a Bravo powered boat, I would not rule another one out just because of TRS drives.

Plus the TRS shifts a whole lot easier than the Bravo's and can handle more HP. Just not as hydrodynamic, adds more "dead weight" over the props and like stated above, cramps the engine compartment even more.
Ok. Im back to being confused on what to do now. It sounds like the Bravos may be better, but considering both of these boats are pushing 500 HP per engine, would the TRS drives be better with these kind of numbers? Also the 90 with bravos are original with 600+ hours on them, and the 88 with TRS have been rebuilt with only 90 hours on the clock. Should these be factors in my decison?

Quick Reply: Formula 311 Values ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.