IMO the 35  two-step is not a good looking boat >

IMO the 35 two-step is not a good looking boat

Notices

IMO the 35 two-step is not a good looking boat

Old 01-26-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Post IMO the 35 two-step is not a good looking boat

I was thinking about stepping up to the plate and buying my first fountain so the wife and I drove down to the Louisville boat show this morning. I've seen a lot of talk on these boards about the appearance of the newer 35's so we went to see for ourselves. I have to say - we were very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the lines on most Fountains, and especially the 35 one-steps; but man, I just couldn't even think about forking up the bucks for that new two-stepped 35.

So now I'm left with the choice of buying a butt-ugly (IMO) two-step, or buying the better-looking (but 5mph slower) one-step.

Why not put the beautiful lines of that classic deck under the new hull? IMO they would sell a lot more of those - and likely one to me
Old 01-26-2002, 10:18 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the classic deck, it's not worth the extra 5 MPH. If you spend that kind of money and think your boat is ugly everytime you look at it. What about a 38' with the race fairing, nice looking boat. You would think that fountain would offer the new twin step hull without a winshield. Of put the twin step on the classic.

Kirk
Old 01-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Registered

Marginmn,
Welcome to the board! I don't like the direction Fountain has taken with the new style Lightning. The new hulls are fantastic. It's a shame they aren't offering them with the old decks. I was actually going to buy this boat before I got stupid and tried to order a new 2002 the way I wanted it. See boat-buying 101. Charlene is the person to contact if this interest you. I'm sure they can do better than the listed sale price. If you want any other info just email me.
Dan http://www.raymondsboats.com/35_fountain_special.htm
Old 01-26-2002, 11:35 PM
Registered

The two step just make our older ones worth more
Old 01-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Registered

candyman35, thanks for the link - that is one BEAUTIFUL looking 35 Classic. But the thought of a fugly 35 blowing past me at 88 mph while I'm struggling to do 78 is too depressing to think about. I have a 500 efi in my current boat and have come to the conclusion that 500's are the way to go for trouble-free performance boating.

Maybe Reggie watches these boards and will someday offer his customers what they really want. BTW, I suppose Reggie also frowns on customers asking to have their throttles put on the right side of the dash.

Reggie may know performance boats, but I trade stocks for a living and FPWR looks looks uglier than a 35 two-step. Fountain Powerboat Industries ended its last quarterly report has less cash on hand than the invoice price of one 47 lightning with 502's!

I know Fountain's fiberglass supplier put them on a cash account due to asbestos litigation, but geez Reggie - your shareholders deserve better than $1.60 a share! What was that line from 'Field of Dreams,' "Build it and they will come."
Old 01-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Marginmn:
<STRONG>
Reggie may know performance boats, but I trade stocks for a living and FPWR looks looks uglier than a 35 two-step. Fountain Powerboat Industries ended its last quarterly report has less cash on hand than the invoice price of one 47 lightning with 502's! </STRONG>
LMAO
I think the 502's need to be Whippled!
I forgot to mention that in my other post.
The Whipples will run about $10,000.00 for the pair as opposed to the $25,000.00 upgrade to 500 EFI's. But Whipple's on a pair of 500EFI's. I don't like the look of the new Fountains. I wouldn't call them ugly there just not for me. Some guys and especially the wife’s love their windshields. It’s just nice to have a choice.
Dan
Old 01-27-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered

Marginmn,
I just realized you have a Checkmate. I had a '92 251 that I traded in for my 35' Fountain. I loved that Checkmate. They are great Boats.
Dan
Old 01-27-2002, 09:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I agree, ugly looking windshields.

Now, Formula and Powerquest are two examples of boat builders using them. They don't bother me. It's their "style" and they do it well, and even PQ offers the windscreen instead.

But Fountain has always had the smoked glass, or race fairing, and I liked that about them, set them apart. But, now, they had something really unique and go to the windshield. Hate it.

I think Reggie is just getting old. He's making 65' boats, 38, 47' cruisers, and he's forgotten about the little go-fast guys. No more 32' boat, so you HAVE to jump to a 35 to get twins. Instead of sticking to "core competencies", he's venturing off into other markets and forgetting about the "common folk" and making exclusive boats that are very pricey, and for a whole different buyer. So, he's just lining up to sell less boats (less number of people can afford the higher $$ boats, smaller markets), so he'll have to sell at a higher markup to make the same amount.

I'd buy an older 42 with fairing or smoke windscreen, I couldn't bring myself to have a windshield on a Fountain. And the more I look at different boats, the more I like the looks of Sonic, AT, Cigarette, guys with nothing but a clear wind screen to keep bugs out of your teeth

It seems to me the "owning a Fountain" mystique is not what it once was. Maybe it's just me.

Mark

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: 32fever ]
Old 01-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Registered

32fever,
I agree with you. He is building boats for a different clientele. It’s not just the windshield but the round shape of the wind fairing. They’re not bad. I just prefer the angled smoked glass. They look great and won't shatter if you take a wave the wrong way. I can drive my boat with no sunglasses or goggles with the wind deflector.

What did you think of the cabin in the 38TS Cig? It was called the extended cover girl. There is a lot of room when you get in there but that doorway could use the Fountain 3 piece door. My head still hurts from hitting it on the 38'. Hey I was injured on a National Marine boat! I need a lawyer! LOL
Maybe then they would take me seriously.
The one priority in my next boat will be side walkways to get on to the deck. That 38 Donzi is a nice boat but you need to crawl through a hatch to get onto the deck. I guess the 35 has spoiled me.
Dan
Old 01-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Registered

candyman35, is there any difference between a 97 35 classic and a 99 model? Did the 35 have the single step in 97? Are you pretty happy with it?

Quick Reply: IMO the 35 two-step is not a good looking boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.