2004 29' Oil Changing Idea's / Equipment >

2004 29' Oil Changing Idea's / Equipment

Notices

Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first Fountain and as like everyone else I want to keep the engine area clean. I'm in need of help on how to change the oil and espically the filter with out causing the greatest mess in the world.
I have changed it once and used a manual vaccuum pump to remove the oil in the pan, with OK results but I had some spillage when I removed the filter. Any helpful ideas / techniques will be appreciated.

PS

It's a 525 if that matters.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: 2004 29' Oil Changing Idea's / Equipment

If your 525EFI does not have it already installed, install the Mercury Drain plug hose kit which allows you to extend the hose out the bilge drain hole, and drain every last drop out of the pan. When you suck it out the dipstick, you still leave about a quart in the bottom of the pan.

When changing the filter, poke a hole into the top of it with a sharpened screwdriver, about 3 inches deep Allow to drain for about 10 minutes before you start to loosen it. 98% of the oil will drain down to the pan with this vent hole, and the rest will stay in the cup of the filter base. Poke the hole with a hammer, and a screwdriver, do not drill a hole (shavings = bad).

Do a search in the General Discussion and/or Tech Forum for info on the Merc Drain plug kit. Its the only way I'll change my oil. Your Merc dealer can get it for your for about $60.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: 2004 29' Oil Changing Idea's / Equipment

Sydwayz,

Thanks for the tip on the filter. My situation for the drain plug is not real feasible, my boat is sitting on a hoist (parked backwards) so it is about impossible to reach the drain plugs. I would have to build some sort of additional decking to reach. I guess I could pull the rig out on trailer to change oil and dump it back into the water but that is sort of a pain.

I bought the pump thru LCM and that is what they say the use all of the time to change oil out with no issues.

I will post the same quesiton out in the tech area.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Registered

Re: 2004 29' Oil Changing Idea's / Equipment

Venting the filter is a great idea... I cut the top off of a bleach jug and hold it under the filter.. I also place oil obsorbing mats just below that area.. But still get some oil in the bilge..
I use a vacuum pump to remove the oil but rigged up a hose in lieu of the small hose inserted in the tube. The hose is threaded to the outside of the tube.. It sems to get most of the oil out.. I use Mobil 1 20w50 It stays clean and runs cool...
The venting may help. Thanks for the tip....