Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   First improvements on 27 fever for speed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/121813-first-improvements-27-fever-speed.html)

fountain1998 02-04-2006 09:27 AM

First improvements on 27 fever for speed

I bought a 1998 27 Fever 2 weeks ago. It has the 502 415HP engine. I am looking for ideas on minor $$ mods to increase speed. The previous owner told me that the boat is stock. The prop is stock. He told me he uses Mobil 1 synthetic oil and has a K & N filter. I have talked with Brett at BBBlades. Big help. He suggests a different prop that might increase speed 2 to 4 mph. This really sounds great. The owner has a picture of two handheld GPS'S showing 71.3 mph, while in boat running, with 15 gallons of fuel and two people, 5100 RPM. He told me this boat is 2 to 3 mph faster than other 502's for some reason. He also told me that there is "blocks" stopping the tabs from going past 3. He suggested the boat might pick up top end speed if these are removed. The Fountain dealer told me not to take them out. What are your thoughts on this and what are some of the "small changes" to increase speed?

1stfntn 02-05-2006 01:32 PM

Re: First improvements on 27 fever for speed

You can take the stops out on the tabs; however, you may need to slightly "drag" some tab at WOT with the drive trimmed out to keep from chine walking (at least I had to in my '03 27'). Normally I'd suggest labbing your prop (or getting a labbed prop), but it looks like you're already at max RPM, so you'd probably need them to add some pitch if you lab your current prop. If you pursue a new prop, contact Julie from ThrottleUp here on the board; they're great. Might pick up 2 or 3 mph, but will most likely loose cruise speed and hole shot. I had 496HO in my 27', so can't give much advice on 502 MPI's. Several friends who had 502 MPI's got upgrades from Arizona Speed and Marine, but I couldn't tell you how much $$$ or MPH increase. Maybe think about trying to turn your MPI into an HP500 EFI?? I'm sure others with 502's much wiser than me will chime in on engine upgrades.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-05-2006 01:47 PM

If you dont mind spending the loot on superchargers, We can set you up with a nice package. For the money its a lot of bang for the buck.. Otherwise the info already given seems to be pointing you in a good direction.. Jamie :)

BAJA WILL 02-06-2006 08:13 AM

Fountain1998

Hate to tell you but a 1998 w 502mpi at 71.3 is dialed in pretty damn good. Now the real question is when you drive it is it doing that, I can tell you from over 500hours in 27 fountains, at 71mph they can chine walk, I don't really suggest you seeking more speed until you remove the tab stops and get used to driving through the chine walk, correcting by steering the opposite direction of the boat lean.

Also being that you have only had it for 2 weeks, you may want to get used to what you have first, 70+ can be very dangerious, think of it like a mototcycle.

Moving on once you feel comfortable with more speed, I suggest a whipple charger or Tyler Crockett up grade the 502 to around 550hp, and that will be more than enough HP for a 27.

WILL :drink: Best of luck and Congrats on your new ride your going to love it

fountain1998 02-06-2006 08:50 PM

Are those super chargers tough on engines? Would you do anything to the engine first to make sure it would hold up? You said to take the blocks out if I were to pursue more speed, why?
I used to race a drag bike for Vance & Hines racing. My bike was a street legal bike that went in the 8's at around 170mph in the quarter mile. The bike would run 195 on the street. I am ready for the extra speed. Thanks for your help.

Steve

BAJA WILL 02-07-2006 07:43 AM

Fountain1998

Without gtting into a pissing match here, you state you run motorcycles in 170mph range, OK where you ready after just owning that bike for 2 weeks? Dude, maybe you have more time in Fountains than I do I don't know, but how many times has the boat gotten away from you and you recovered at 70+ mph, Has your boat even chine walked on you yet? if not you wern't even doing 70 yet (the speedos are 4mph fast), I am just saying get used to what you have and please becareful :drink:

Again moving on, removing the blocks/stops, will allow the K-planes to rise above the flow of water leaving the hull at high speed, therefore less dragg on boat.

As for superchargers, yea they are hard on a motor but its the price you pay for speed.

I am sure me and fellow owners on here would love to see a pic of your new ride :D

WILL

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-07-2006 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by fountain1998
Are those super chargers tough on engines? Would you do anything to the engine first to make sure it would hold up? You said to take the blocks out if I were to pursue more speed, why?
I used to race a drag bike for Vance & Hines racing. My bike was a street legal bike that went in the 8's at around 170mph in the quarter mile. The bike would run 195 on the street. I am ready for the extra speed. Thanks for your help.

Steve

The superchargers are ok on most stock engines as long as the boost is kept low & you dont abuse it.

pullmytrigger 02-07-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Fountain1998

Without gtting into a pissing match here, you state you run motorcycles in 170mph range, OK where you ready after just owning that bike for 2 weeks? Dude, maybe you have more time in Fountains than I do I don't know, but how many times has the boat gotten away from you and you recovered at 70+ mph, Has your boat even chine walked on you yet? if not you wern't even doing 70 yet (the speedos are 4mph fast), I am just saying get used to what you have and please becareful :drink:

WILL

dont take offence but thats some good advice

and use your lanyard

fountain1998 02-07-2006 01:29 PM

27FOUNTAIN First run was 11.80@115mph. You are right. It took me about two years, $$$ and nitrous oxide to get to that speed. The fastest boat I have owned to date only had the 454 in it. It would run 60 mph max (GPS). So you are suggesting to take the blocks out. This will help?

The boat is still at Raymonds, lake of the ozarks. They are fixing a knick on the beak, adding a dual battery switch & battery, and putting one of the drive showers on it before I pick it up. I just checked their website, but they removed it. The only thing I have to show for it is a Fountain coffee cup and a tee shirt and two titles from Charlene. They are great people.

BAJA WILL 02-08-2006 07:32 AM

Fountain1998

Taking the blocks out will only help if they are in the way of the water flow leaving the boat, I want to stress, taking them out should get you say 1mph maybe (you may see no gain?), but it will make the boat less stable at 70+ mph,

One of the simplest things you can do is swap props, a 1998 27 should have come with a LH 24 Hydromotive prop, you may be able to gain a couple mph by switching to a 25 Hydro, lab finished, probably 2mph.

Also taking the bed, carpet, and anything not bolted down out, will usually gain some speed, I have done this on radar runs, obviously running low on fuel will get you some speed also, however let me warn you Fountain fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate, when the low fuel light turns on, you are out of gas, like you better be really close to a marina.

As mentioned before wear you lanyard (kill switch), I actually converted mine to a purple aftermarket seadoo lanyard to match my boat and feels more comfortable on my arm.

Now if you want to up grade you stereo I can help there also!!

WILL :drink: