Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
51' Lightning >

51' Lightning

Notices

51' Lightning

Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just good friends of the majority of the partnership that currently own this boat.

It is currently dry docked near Pier 121 on Lake Lewisville.

In a very odd note an upholstered cushion over the engine bay that was lost when this boat first moved to the shop at Texhoma was found & returned more than 2 months later!!

They are still looking for a suitable trailer if anyone has any helpful info.

Can't say enough good things about BJ & M Marine in Gordonville and the work they did restoring the hull.

Last edited by damon; 07-03-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon
Just good friends of the majority of the partnership that currently own this boat.

It is currently dry docked near Pier 121 on Lake Lewisville.

In a very odd note an upholstered cushion over the engine bay that was lost when this boat first moved to the shop at Texhoma was found & returned more than 2 months later!!

They are still looking for a suitable trailer if anyone has any helpful info.

Can't say enough good things about BJ & M Marine in Gordonville and the work they did restoring the hull.
I have an 07 triple axle aluminum trailer for 18600 lbs. Overall length is 53' Don't know if it will be long enough, but it has never been titled. I obtained it when I bought my crusier. I has only been splashed a couple times up here on Lake Conroe. It hauled a boat from NE to Ft Lauderdale and then here to TX. Those are the only real miles on it.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Jeff et All,

Odd ( & perhaps uninformed ) trailer question but when they rate a trailer for 18,600 do they mean it is structurally up to holding a boat of that weight under any & all conditions?

Obviously the load can vary to well beyond 18,600 as a boat moves down the freeway & hits a bump of any kind at speed.

Your trailer is around the weight class which has been estimated for this hull.

Last edited by damon; 07-03-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Registered

As I was told when buying a trailer, the weight rating of the trailer includes margin for shock loading like bumps. Its a gross number, so it includes the weight of the trailer! So if the aluminum trailer weighs 2000 lbs, its the right trailer for you if the boat including fuel and all the junk you put it in when you drive around is less than 16,600 lbs. I'd actually weigh the boat to know for sure what trailer to get.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The weight limit of the trailer is a gross number. It means all inclusive.

As far as potholes and bumps, the weight doesn't change. Boat and trailer still weigh the same. It didn't magically put on an extra thousand pounds because it hit a pothole.

The impact strain has more to do with the tires. You are looking for a better tire at that point.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

I just would like to know which one of the three orig 51 Fountains you are speaking of? Yes... there were three built. One with Merc 500 HP, the next with 500 Innovations and the last with 600 Innovations. The 600 boat was ordered by me.......I had it in stock at my dealership in Cincinnati. The boat ran 104 and was a freight train. It took it a LONG time to get up to that speed but it would do it. I spent a lot of time on that boat. There also was a 47 with the same driveline. It was the "test" boat. It is often called a 51. But it is not. Fountain made a mold for that driveline. Only three boats came from that mold.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

All currently involved with this boat would like to know more about it's history.
All I can provide is a hull # 51001 & tell you that it does indeed measure out to 51'. It has dark blue & maroon graphics.

We are under the impression that the original engines are a distant memory & are not at all sure what the current engine package consist of.

If anyone wants to take a look it is currently at the Waterworks yard immediately south east of Pier 121. Unless you get into the yard all you see is a head on shot that belies its true size/length.

Jeff can you please contact me at my: damon54@budlight
email??

Last edited by damon; 07-05-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered

Yes......51001 is the same boat that I had. Like I said, It was built with 540 ci 600 HP Innovations. I found the boat file and I have the orig build sheet, performance report, invoice and a lot of pictures. Does it have motors now? Is this thing for sale? Repo? What is up with the boat?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Amazing!! Info on the current motors is next up on the "to do"
list.

If one difficult partner in this arrangement cannot be dealt with in short order then this boat may indeed go up for sale.

As its original dealer I think you would be quite gratified to see what the hull looks like in its current condition. 2 months ago it would have made you ill.
The one change you would notice right away is that the powdercoat white bow rail on the front section is now refinished in polished stainless due to chipping that had occurred.

Last edited by damon; 07-06-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered

Partnership on a boat? This could be interesting..

Quick Reply: 51' Lightning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.