Gasoline stains - need advice

Notices

Gasoline stains - need advice

Old 08-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline stains - need advice

If anyone out there has had this problem I would like to hear if there is a solution! I filled my '05 35 Ex with fuel for the weekend but was called away on business and did not use the boat. The following week was the big heat wave in the northeast (I was still away) and the expanding fuel discharged thru the vents as it is supposed to. However, in doing so it left numerous brown stains on the white rubrail and the gelcoat. I managed to get most of it out but it is still very visable and real ugly! So far I have tried: Dawn detergent, Heavy Duty Fiberglass cleaner wax, Sno Bowl toilet cleaner, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Mary Kate On and Off (can't believe that didn't work) and straight Clorox bleach left out in the sun (in that order)...all to no avail. I am reluctant to use compound and a wheel since I have very little experience with them. Also, the professional detailers I have called do not give me a warm and fuzzy. Any input will be much appreciated! Thanks all.

Gary

Last edited by gferdon; 08-10-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Gasoline stains - need advice

Have seen it at the Shop a few times and a heavy cleaner like 3M Sharpshooter took it off and what was left the sun took care of the only one I could not get out was a stain on a Wrap once in the vinal it was there for good . the stain on the rub rail should come off with acetone
Bob

Last edited by blownincome; 08-11-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ACETONE. Buy a quart at home depot and keep it arounbd. It is the wonder-drug for glass and rub rails. Will make them look like new. Be careful around seats, etc. -- it will melt them.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

I own a detail company and specialize in buffing. I f Acetone doesnt work which with the things you said you have already done I dont think it will be much help. My advice to you is to- Get some 3M heavy dudy compound with a high speed buffer, a wool pad and just start buffing the gellcoat, It is pretty hard to mess up gelcoat just dont burn it by holding the buffer in one place with to much presure for too long. This should take the stain off but thus making the surface rough and scratchy. So after compounding it, take the buffer with a foam pad and a.... POLISH-COMPOUND, and buff it again, then wax it , Should be good as new.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OK guys, gonna' try the acetone, since it is easy, then give the compound a try if necessary. Thanks for all the input, I will let you know the results!

Gary
Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

gary
congrats on the 35
good luck with the stain

greg.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered

Same thing happened to me several years ago. I never could get the stain out of the rubrail, so ended up replacing it. Talk about an expensive stain! Never carry that much gas since.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the congrats...how's the OL this season, been using it much? Hope to see you at some point!

G-
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me used 3m compound on a wet rag took stain right off of rub rail.Did not leave any scratches.Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I had this happen while the boat was in winter storage. Yep, it sure is ugly!

Tried everything....acetone did the trick. In some spots I had to use a fine 3M abrasive pad with it....VERY carefully. Looks like new!

Quick Reply: Gasoline stains - need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.