Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Air conditioning install on 38 need help! >

Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Notices

Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

I am looking to install A/C in my fountain ( don't laugh). What is a good unit for this boat? Brand and size(in btu). Where is the unit best fit? Has anybody done an install on a 35,38,or 42. I am looking for all input?

Thanks

raf
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

I just finished installing one in my 32. Actually, just have the thru hull fitting and pump left to install. I'm guessing mine will be the only 32 with air.
I went with Mermaid. A very nice piece. I bought the reverse cycle, 6500 Btu unit through WM. The R/C was only $50 more and gives you heat in the spring and fall. Hard not to get that option.They are having a clearance sale and are letting these go cheap. Installed mine under the sink cabnet. I removed the drop in ice cooler. Wanted to install it under the v-berth in the large storage compartment, but didn't want to cut big holes thru the bulkheads for the supply and return ducting. The sink cabnet turned out perfect. I'll get some pics later.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-17-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I installed a Cruisair 5K unit under the V berth of a 312 Formula last year....about 40 hrs install but I am very picky about how it looked. (you can do a search in the Formula forum for pics, etc.)
Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

The duct is ran up inside the electrical switch/shorepanel peice to the 2 vents directly above. I took the door to work and milled the slots in at an angle to give it a bit of hidden look. That turned out really nice. I did have to cut the 3/4" bottom of the cabinet out where the A/C unit sits and screw another peice under the cut out to sit the unit down the 3/4" for head clearance. I actually gained storage space in there because I placed it to the side as much as possible, where as the cooler was centered. The white grill is plain home shelf material I installed to prevent anything from hit the evaporator coils. It just slides in, so I can remove it and gain access to the filter and the condensator stainer. The area inside the flip up lid is now all storage too. The cooler lid and surround panel were replaced with a single peiece of 1/4" plywood with white PVC covering. I can lift that top out to gain even more access to the A/C unit and more than likely my new stereo amps that will be mounted in the now extra cabinet space now, height depending. I installed the Mermaid Condesator that sucks the condensation out of the catch pan and discharges it out in the hose for the A/C water discharge. That parts allows me to not have to drain the condensation into the bilge. I don't want any water inside the boat.
I set this up so I can run the A/C while on the lift, out of the water.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

US1,
How much weight did the system add to your boat and how much did everything cost?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Indy,
The unit only weighs 45#. I'll be right around $1400 total. Selling my hatch air will offset that a hair. In comparison, my hatch air weighs 65#'s. Not that I run around with it on. Now I don't have to store it, nor lift it off and on or worring about dropping it on the boat or in the drink. I bought the R/C 6500 Btu unit. Parts needed are a strainer, thru hull, seacock valve, water hose, vents, wiring, and duct. It comes with the pump and t-stat. The install kits (which anywhere else are outragously priced) have all the needed accessories, but I bought just what I needed and upgraded to a bigger pump because I added the Condensator and am doing a rare install use (run on lift) Both of those items added an extra $350-400. I also went with a better strainer, another $100, over the standard $35 strainer or less which is more than adequte. I just wanted a solid bronze housing strainer (included in the deluxe install kit) over the plastic ones. You should be able to buy the unit and have another $150 at most if you buy the standard install kit.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-18-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

US1- Sounds like you know what the hell your doin'lol Do you want to come out and install mine? The cabin in my 38 is not all that much bigger than a 32( I used to have a 32) will a 6500btu be enough? Will it fit underneath the front cushion in the lounge or is it better under the front vberth. Will a bilge installation work. for each of those applications do I need a right or left discharge? Thanks for all the help
Old 01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by runafever
US1- Sounds like you know what the hell your doin'lol Do you want to come out and install mine? The cabin in my 38 is not all that much bigger than a 32( I used to have a 32) will a 6500btu be enough? Will it fit underneath the front cushion in the lounge or is it better under the front vberth. Will a bilge installation work. for each of those applications do I need a right or left discharge? Thanks for all the help

Not sure I would say I know what I'm doing, but enough to get it done. Just takes me alot longer because I am very particular about this stuff.
My hatch air was only 5000Btu and would freeze you out, so the 6500Btu unit should be more than enough. Going to big is as bad as too small. Remember, a 32' or '38 Fountain has a lot smaller cabin space to cool/heat than a 32' or 38' cruiser.

No, it will not fit under the center cushion ( I assume the porta pot strorage). The V berth center storage is ideal as far as location and space as long as you don't mind cutting into the bulkheads. The 1st supply duct is suppose to be no more than 5 ft from the unit, so a bilge install won't work. Plus all your duct will have to go thru the cockpit area (unheated/uncooled area) Another strike. The return has to be in the same room as the unit itself is. I don't think it would be wise to try that. For the v-berth install, a left hand would work if you plan to run the supplys towards the sink area. I originally bought a left for that install, but change my plans and traded a buddy for his right hand for mounting under the sink. I was going to cut an opening thru that bulkhead behind the port pot storage and then install a grill on that drop down door for the return air if I went that route.The top exit will not work in our boats, too tall. Gotta take into account the duct work. 4 of us bought at same time, luckly 2 of us needed what the other bought.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Indy,
The unit only weighs 45#. I'll be right around $1400 total. Selling my hatch air will offset that a hair. In comparison, my hatch air weighs 65#'s. Not that I run around with it on. Now I don't have to store it, nor lift it off and on or worring about dropping it on the boat or in the drink. I bought the R/C 6500 Btu unit. Parts needed are a strainer, thru hull, seacock valve, water hose, vents, wiring, and duct. It comes with the pump and t-stat. The install kits (which anywhere else are outragously priced) have all the needed accessories, but I bought just what I needed and upgraded to a bigger pump because I added the Condensator and am doing a rare install use (run on lift) Both of those items added an extra $350-400. I also went with a better strainer, another $100, over the standard $35 strainer or less which is more than adequte. I just wanted a solid bronze housing strainer (included in the deluxe install kit) over the plastic ones. You should be able to buy the unit and have another $150 at most if you buy the standard install kit.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0
So I could do it myself for around $1000, in water use only, thats not bad at all. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

All good info. I am currently researching the mermaid 6500btu. under the front storage area is where i'll have to put it as I us my cooler for drinks and food. Just one more question: I know the return will be through the drop down door or in my case just a storage area because my boat has the bathroom but where would be a good place to run the ducts and how many do I need and how many is required.

Thanks a lot

RAF

Quick Reply: Air conditioning install on 38 need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.