Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?) >

47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

Notices

47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

Hello everyone and how are you. I have a 1993 flat deck and have taken out the original power. The boat is worked for twins but triples will fit as well.

"drives first, then power"

At this point, I have found a nice twin set of Arneson ASD 10 drives and am thinking of going that route. What are your thoughts??? The transom is cut for Merc 6's.. I wonder if ASD makes an extension box that uses the #6 transom to ASD #10 surface drive?? Does anyone have any thoughts on the ASD 10?? Good, bad?? If I go with the Arneson drives then a pair of T-53 turbines will follow (probably). If not, then I will either go with a set of lambo 12's or blown 572 v8's.

The above is an extreme option for twins. If I go with triples then the power will not be near as hot. I have seen trip bravos on 47's but not sure about the reliability with used with 600hp motors? Your thoughts?? What will this do for the value of the boat?? Would it be better to go with SSM drives? but then there is a transmission involved and weight may be an issue.

Any help on this one is appreciated... I will post pictures of my boat later today... some of you may have already seen it.

Thanks!

Q
Old 01-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

The 47 is very hard on drives. Even with stock 525s the boat will eat an XR at about 200 hours, the other 2 follow shortly after. As for your other ideas, there are pros and cons but realize that the more exotic you get, the harder it will be to get rid of when the time comes. Rik at Arneson can probably help you with any questions there and the AMF/ Marine Turbine crew can help with the turbines-I believe they have a complete package available now, and their race boats have given them lots of test time
Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

Is this the red and white 47cs?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Hello and how are you. Yes, this is the red and white one... but not for long. I think that I am going to have it painted all white... then graphics will follow.

About the ASD 10's... hopefully Rik can clear some things up for me. I am looking at coper versions but am wondering if they will be too heavy for my boat??? Does anyone have info on this?

Thanks!

Q
Attached Thumbnails 47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)-fountain-side-3.jpg   47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)-fountain-back.jpg   47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)-cockpit-1.jpg  

Old 01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered

I know this boat well. I looked at it and considered repowering with diesels. The boat ran just over 100mph with triple 1000's and wet sump 6's. Then the boat was repowered with twin 525sc's and ran 60mph. It is a heavy boat and some diesels would be beneficial. Look at the seateks and arnesons.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Hello - I looked at the Seatek motors but they are around 1,900lbs, right? Would my stock stringer set up be able to withstand that kind of weight?

I have also been looking at Yanmar 440's which have a weight of 1,300lbs. A lot less weight then the Seatek and the torque is still around 850. What do you think??

Q
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

The best one to answer that question would be Rik at Arneson or have him put you in touch with John Cosker.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

Yanmars would not be near the power needed for that boat. The 440 Yanmars would put you about where the 525sc's did.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Yanmars would not be near the power needed for that boat. The 440 Yanmars would put you about where the 525sc's did.
What size diesel motors would you recomend?? The Seatek's weigh about 1,900lbs and the Yanmar around 1,300lbs or so. Weight has to play some sort of role? I am trying to get a cuise speed of around 70mph and a top speed of high 80's

Also, what about bow lift?? I wonder if the ASD would provide enough bow lift?

Thanks again for the help!!

Q
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

I would recommend the 820 seateks. Contact Super Termoli on the board and he can tell you more about the seateks. Sonic built a 45 with 2 seatek 820's and hit 98 but never broke 100mph main problem was there drive choice not sure what they were but had lots of issues.

Quick Reply: 47 Flat Deck - Need opinions on new power package (ASD?, bravo?, twins?, trips?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.