Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Compound when detailing boat >

Compound when detailing boat

Notices

Compound when detailing boat

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compound when detailing boat

What type of rubbing/ polishing compound to bring back the shine on a 95 35 all white, I was thinking about using finesse it first with a wool pad, then using a Mequires fiberglass wax
Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 35 White Lightning
What type of rubbing/ polishing compound to bring back the shine on a 95 35 all white, I was thinking about using finesse it first with a wool pad, then using a Mequires fiberglass wax

The 3M Finesse It is an excellent product. Try using a waffle foam finishing pad, they work well and do not throw as much material off as a wool pad. Your compound will go farther, just remember to use a slower speed. Then use the wool pad to do the final pass to really bring out the shine. Good Luck.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 AM

thanks for the tip I will use it
Old 05-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FINESE IT IS REALLY A GLAZING COMPOUND. micro fine compound will remove a lil bit more material than the finese it, if thats necessary. garys satin wax, or even better marine clean wax for a finish like no other.

just keep in mind that the more you remove the faster it will oxidise and fade .

unless of course its clear were speaking about.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

I just spoke to Donnie at Marine Clean - He has an oxidation remover that is marketed through trick marine. I dont have any personal experiance yet but he seems to really know his stuff.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
FINESE IT IS REALLY A GLAZING COMPOUND. micro fine compound will remove a lil bit more material than the finese it, if thats necessary. garys satin wax, or even better marine clean wax for a finish like no other.

just keep in mind that the more you remove the faster it will oxidise and fade .

He was asking about compounds, my reference was to the Finesse It Micro Fine polishing compound. I believe it is rated as a 3000 grit product. IMO none better. Needs to be followed up with a quality wax / finish product for a lasting shine. Most of the oxidation removal products I've seen simply feed oils / silicones into the finish to cover the haze of minor oxidation rather than cutting it away, and therefore do not give a long lasting finish. I've used the 3M Micro Fine for years and IMO it does a better job than any other product I've tried.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

3000 grit will nmot remove scratches or stains. it is a great product, i agree. donnies products work very well. i use them on all my customers boats and on the fountains i have in my showroom, and on the trade in's. even my car, and it works great, applies easily and lasts.

the oxisdation remover works nice.

if you need to go a little more agresive, than i would use the micro from 3m with a foam pad as stated.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa

This ? Will it leave swirl marks?
Attached Thumbnails Compound when detailing boat-zzz.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
I just spoke to Donnie at Marine Clean - He has an oxidation remover that is marketed through trick marine. I dont have any personal experiance yet but he seems to really know his stuff.
We are also a distributor for Donnie's products.. & yes his stuff works extremely well..

As far as super faded units wet sand first if needed. Then use 3m superduty compound or gel compound first & then work you way up with finesse it & leverage for the ultimate gloss & protection...

If it is lightly oxidized then The Leverage/marine clean oxidation remover followed up with Leverage is an excellent way to go..

If ya need any feel free to call me.. Jamie / lakeside 570-639-2628
Old 05-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
This ? Will it leave swirl marks?
slight, but hen you finish up with the finese it or similiar product and then marine clean.

Quick Reply: Compound when detailing boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.