Shorty on a 27? >

Shorty on a 27?

Notices

Shorty on a 27?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty on a 27?

I've searched, but I can't seem to find any threads addressing this issue. Does anybody know how a 27 Fever will perform with a shorty? I've heard that the x dimension on the 27's is already pretty small, and I've never measured it on my own, but I was just curious if anybody has had any success or otherwise with either a shorty or a sportmaster. It seems like they pretty much always help in most applications, but for a 27 might it be better with just something like -1" instead of the -2", i.e. running a shorty with a 1" spacer?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with them but it seems like the 27s are pretty aggresive from the factory. They're already slow to plane, might have trouble getting on top with the shorty. A 5 blade might help that though.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

hey bsirki have heard the same thing that jmeng said about the x dimension on 27 fevers.when i got my boat it had a land and sea stren-extenstion,some people call them a stren-jack.they say you are able to trim the drive more which translates into more speed.i took it of because it made it harder to dock at low speed and it is hard on the gimble bearing.i did not see any reduction in speed or gain.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I wouldnt do it. "X" is already high on the 27s. A whipple will help your need for speed....I would like to go the N/A direction with a raylar 525 and some new exhaust....just too little $$$ in my pockets right now. In all honesty, the first step I take will be an XR or XR internals....what about an extension box instead of the shorty?

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 05-31-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like you have a 1996. Is this true? IF so you may be able to go up one inch. My 95 29 is up one inch and does fine. If it is a later year it is already raised up from the factory. Roger
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

I run a two in shorty on my 1998 27 ft. I have had great success with it. I went from a standard to the 2 in. shorty when I bought my new drive. I would like to ad a 1in. spacer just to see if it makes any difference but I haven't had a chance yet. I used to run 75 to 80 with my 502 and a side mount whipple running 5 lbs of boost, after changing drive I ran 80 any time and 84 in optimal conditions. One thing you will notice is your trim will be different and that took some time to get used to. I did find it a little different getting on plane as well, seemed to take a little longer for some reason. One last thing, I do have a side mount whipple for sale that will fit right on your 27 and will be hidden by your engine hatch at a very reasonable price if your interested.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered

Yeah, the planing issues was my biggest concern. Of course, with a shorty and a 5 blade this might not be so bad, but could counteract the shorty's gains in top end I guess. My boat is a '96, and I'm actually in the process of re-powering it right now. Got the old motor pulled last night, and should be getting the new one in tonight. I considered putting a whipple on there while I was at it, and actually found one in the swap shop here, but I don't think it's yours. Deltarat, how much you want for that whipple? Any more info on it? Might be something I'm interested in. Seems like with that whipple and a shorty you should have touched 90 or damn close in perfect conditions. What prop you got?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a shorty on my 96 27 back in 2003, here is a thread on my results.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=63313
Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bsirk
Yeah, the planing issues was my biggest concern. Of course, with a shorty and a 5 blade this might not be so bad, but could counteract the shorty's gains in top end I guess. My boat is a '96, and I'm actually in the process of re-powering it right now. Got the old motor pulled last night, and should be getting the new one in tonight. I considered putting a whipple on there while I was at it, and actually found one in the swap shop here, but I don't think it's yours. Deltarat, how much you want for that whipple? Any more info on it? Might be something I'm interested in. Seems like with that whipple and a shorty you should have touched 90 or damn close in perfect conditions. What prop you got?
Make sure you get a top mount whipple, with the old side mount style you will have cut a hole behind the seat for the blower pulley. Since my shorty project didnt work out back in 2003 I had extensive headwork done, upgraded to a roller cam & lifters and increased boost to 7lbs. I have hit right at 90 gps with a Bravo rh 34 and 88gps with a Hydro Q4 31rh. Both props were stock. I currently have the 27 for sale in the classifieds if you know of anybody looking for a really nice 27.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Good info Indy. Too bad the shorty thing didnt work out. Im a little iffy on adding so much power to my 27.....I love the reliability of the stock set up. But of course, I want a 90mph fever as much as the other guy. I guess an Imco sc and a whipple with new pistons is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Shorty on a 27?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.