Rotten??????? >

Rotten???????

Notices

Rotten???????

Old 06-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotten???????

I have a 38 fever, i just noticed today while installing new sea strainers that the wood in the middle main stringer in the motor compartment is rotted out . Does anyone have any advice besides cutting it out and redoing it??? I heard that i could possibly fill in where the wood is gone with epoxy anybody know what type to use and do you think that that would work for any lenght of time???
Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

think about that..its like JB welding a bad spot on the frame of your corvette.. not to mention, without pulling the motors and getting in there, what else is bad??
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Well to get it in there i was thinking about just drilling a few holes and filling through there and what else is bad u ask ....well i dont believe anyhting that i can tell.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Damn sorry to hear that, I am redoing the stringers on my stinger at this time. More then likely if it is rotten there it is in other places also. I would do a lil inspecting if I were you.. The worst part is there are so many other boats with bad stringers and the peeps don't even know it. I am using west systems, it might be a lil pricey but the aval to me is easier then others.. Good luck
John
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Sound to me like the original strainers were not sealed where they were bolted in. Also, sound like there has been a lot of standing water in the bilge. Not good whatever caused it , but you should find out before you patch it up. I have used West Systems stuff before and worth every penny and then some.

Good luck............
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have any pics?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Registered

I do have pics but im not a paying member so cant post them sorry and to Helmwurst the strainers were not there before the ones on there are crap they are made fo small engines on small boats and they dont even have filters in them so that is the reason for changing the strainers ...... i know where the water is coming from too and i have fixed that problem ...... but i do have another question for you all .....what do yall think about running the boat with that bad stringer when of course that is what the motors (merc. 600's) are mounted to ....i was thinking about running it b/c i dont want to lose the whole summer b/c i have a fiberglass man and a man that can pull the motors out to fix it but it wont be for a while and not sure if it will be ready for a major Florida vacation ......... suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanx
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Ya gotta pull the motors and cut out the rotted stuff - there is no way around this - those engines will shift and you will cause yourself more damage to the other stringer your mount is bolted to, also will tear up your transom assembly. You simply cannot boat with spongy stringers. Sorry to hear about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
Ya gotta pull the motors and cut out the rotted stuff - there is no way around this - those engines will shift and you will cause yourself more damage to the other stringer your mount is bolted to, also will tear up your transom assembly. You simply cannot boat with spongy stringers. Sorry to hear about it.
i agree with him. I would have the motors pulled, use a holesaw bit, drill in a few random spots where you spotted the rotton stringer, check for sure, you can always fill them back if they are ok. It is better to lose a summer, then play against the odds, take a chance at tearing up something big time, then you will spend more money and time in the long run. Just my 02.
John
Old 06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Well i agree with yall but my dad heard from a bunch of friends with powerboats that he should run it and not lose a summer but i told him think about this.....if we run it like it is we are gonna screw up more stuff if those motors move just a little bit then we will lose more money than if we juss fix it ow but he dont believe me that something could happenso i dont think it is gettin fixed til next winter......

Quick Reply: Rotten???????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.