Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
I'm Buying a 27 Fountain Fever.... >

I'm Buying a 27 Fountain Fever....

Notices

I'm Buying a 27 Fountain Fever....

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be BS but I think that I have the 1st 27 step bottom made with the light layup. At least that is what I was told by original owner. It does fly. Now with the blower motor and the scoop in the back it really can get hairy.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
IMO the 27 is not a very good rough water boat. Its really a 25ft boat when you factor in the beak and the swim platform. The blower motor will last about 1/2 as long as a nonblower motor - so yes maintenance will be significantly more. If the drives are bravo one they will not last either - but really depends on how you drive it. The 29 fountain will run faster than the 27 with same power.

I am not so sure that your opinions are very helpful in this situation, and for you to consider this boat 25' is absolutely insane. Is it safe for me to assume that you have never even been in a Fountain..? Let me guess you are one of those guys that tries to put them down for no other reason than the simple fact that you dont have one...and that you probobly have always secretly wanted one..?

I run my 27' Fountain on Lake Ontario....Ask anyone that knows anything about boating on the Great Lakes and they will tell you that they would rather be cought out on the ocean than on Lake Ontario when the winds pick up and the waves get going. My boat handles anything that I have been out in exceptionally well

Awesome boat you will absolutely love it and I am sure that the motor will last you a nice long time as long as you do the regular maintenance that comes with any boat.

If the motor was built well and built for blower I am sure you will have no problems. Also take what information you get from everyone on this and any forum very carefully. You can ask 20 different people the same question and get 20 different answers so just remember that.
You will learn very quickly who has real hands on experience and you will also see who knows how to recite magazine articles to you to make themselves sound smart.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered

I run my 27 Fountain on Lake St. Clair, and I have to agree that it's more like a 25' boat than a 27' boat. Actually, i'd say 23' or 24'. I believe when I measured from the transom to just behind the flare (where you start having useful "boat") I came up with 23'. And it's less roomy than a 24' Formula. However, it's a much stronger, better built boat than most, and the boat will handle just about anything you put it through. The boat can handle way more than the operator, in most cases.

My friend's 25' Rinker is longer than my 27' Fountain. Both 1991 models.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I run my 27 Fountain on Lake St. Clair, and I have to agree that it's more like a 25' boat than a 27' boat. Actually, i'd say 23' or 24'. I believe when I measured from the transom to just behind the flare (where you start having useful "boat") I came up with 23'. And it's less roomy than a 24' Formula. However, it's a much stronger, better built boat than most, and the boat will handle just about anything you put it through. The boat can handle way more than the operator, in most cases.

My friend's 25' Rinker is longer than my 27' Fountain. Both 1991 models.
I believe that the way boats were measured compared to how they are measured today is a big difference. I think around the early 90's the way the were measured changed. I had a 22' Pachanga before my current 27' Fountain and to even begin to compare size is impossible for me to do. My Fountain is a animal compared to my old 22' Pachanga in all regards. Its longer, wider, more stable, heavier...I dont know I guess the point from where the boats are measured now a days can be and will be argued to the bloody end but, it says its a 27' boat on the title, I pay for a 27' boat at the marina, it tows like a 27' boat..........it must be a 27' boat
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

The 27' has the length and weight of most comparable molded swim platform 27's.....but the running surface and interior arent near as big. I run on occasion with "cstobe" at tablerock in his 27 fatech. Seems much bigger inside in every way....wife also says it runs smoother in the rough too. I am very happy with my purchase and would do it again.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedacig
New crate mercruiser motor etc..

Based on the valve covers I would guess it would be a GM Performance Parts offering not Mercruiser. Nothing wrong with that in that GM builds a lot of the Merc offerings, just be sure of what you have, camshaft for the automotive use might not be ideal foor marine, and some feel head gaskets can be an issue as well, more so in the case of a blower motor. Couple friends have had 27's, they are a fun package. Boat looks clean, Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
NoQuarter

Great looking boat. Have fun and be safe!

Replace the tongue Jack immediately. It could be very dangerous if that thing gave out and someone was standing near the trailer.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedacig
how much?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
Great looking boat. Have fun and be safe!

Replace the tongue Jack immediately. It could be very dangerous if that thing gave out and someone was standing near the trailer.

Yeah, that thing has seen better days....and looks a little small for the application.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mbccenter
Where are you located? Like to see pictures of the boat.

Quick Reply: I'm Buying a 27 Fountain Fever....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.