575's in a 38 >

575's in a 38

Notices

575's in a 38

Old 06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575's in a 38

I have a chance to buy a set of 575's that I know are very correct and strongly thinking about pulling my fresh 500EFI's for them and have a million questions but would like to know experienced thoughts on which drives to install. I know my B-1's will not handle the load. B-Max? Imco? Bmax uppers with Imco lowers? Just had new HP transom assemblies installed too-do those go bye bye also? Then the obvious-which prop combo for best cruise and great top end without giving up a decent hole shot.

Also-is the exhaust different between the two (seems stupid to ask but just changed mine)?
If anyone has done this, would like to hear thoughts and speed results.
I am just trying to set a near term budget to evaluate whether this makes enough sense to do.
2001 38' STOCK Lightning. -Thanks to anyone in advance.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the #s you are crunching, on pulling the motors VS just adding Whipples to your 500efi's as for the bravos holding up they would be OK as long as you are careful.

In all honesty you are looking at a little HP 75 each for allot of money. But then agai its yoiur money?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF YOU HAVE THE SET UP RIGHT, then you can expect over 100 out of it. much safer then 500's with whipples. i have dialed in a 38 with 575's and to date i have seen over 109.

i say go for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Registered

monstaaa-you are always there. I actually was inspired by the 575 setup in the 38 you posted pics on. I have no interest in whipples nor fooling myself that Bravo 1's will hold this setup. I have a lot of in your face airtime here in the gulf and have learned well from listening to the right voices. Many who I respect are high on the B-Max uppers at least and I have good faith in a good set of 575's. I just want to make sure I buy the correct components to make this 1. reliable and 2. to get the best efficiency (see least amount of slip) and 3. make this boat a powerhouse. So I am looking for drive thoughts (best "x" dimension and strength vs $) and prop combo to make it what it can be. 38's will fly very fast safely if set up right without going to monster motors that need 100 hr attention
Old 06-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The 575 are decent motors and while you have them out running them up to 700 hp is pretty simple and cost effective. Plenty of 575 set ups came with XR drives...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

fanatic is correct on the 700 issue. the will be really reliable at that mark . as for drives , the h.p gimbals and imco xtremes work well. as do bravo xr with eihter imco or merc shorties.
i have run 2 38's with 700+ h.p and bravos both have great records as far as drive failure.
i also run a 36 gladiator with 750 zul's and bravo h.p's with its and xr sportmasters. never a drive issue and we used this boat to its fullest.
alot of people are under the assumption you canjust hold it with out failure or dont actually throttle properly. this is the NUMBER ONE cause for failure. not the build. not the part.

as for the bmax's i feel that if you run the ruff, and install the bmax with out the bmax gimbal you are only moving the weak link. and by doing this you increase your chances of catastrophic failure.
using the heavier drive on the lighter gimbal is just a matter of time till failure. and when it happens it will be worse , for you will loose a drive as a whole rather than just blow one.
this is of course an average . just be carefull. there is a reason they offer a gimbal. same as conrad. its called mated units.
one with out the other is not a whole as designed.

as for the inspiration, i thank you for the positive compliment. sincerely. my only hope is that my fellow boaters can increase their pleasureable experience from the comments i try to offer.

best of luck. and again thanyou. Bo
Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

p.s this is my passion and i AM a fountain freak
Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monstaaa
I am a freak

We know this!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered

Agreed to the nth degree about throttling. It is by far the key to proper drive integrity and I can throttle well. We all can catch the errant wave though but I want the beef. The XR/ merc/imco shorties makes a lot of sense as they are plentiful and appreciate the B max input AND I already have the HP gimbals. Running buddy has a 2001 staggered 42' L'ing/575's, Eikert heads, proper remapped/dyno'd 575's at 725 h.p.( I can use his mapping), preoiler, Strainers, B max's with Imco shorties/dry tipped and although he is still looking for the right prop setup, after a lot of mistakes he has it dialed in. I will go with the XR combo then and get the heads done the same. So many thanks for your input-it means a ton to me.
Mark
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Do the IMCO SC drives, and put some superchillers on those motors.

Quick Reply: 575's in a 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.