Notices

27 fever

Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27 fever

A buddy just bought a 27 Fever. It's set up with left hand rotation. Is this normal on these boats?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

yes most of the singles are left hand.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

During the 90's they were left hand. Mine is an 01' and its right hand drive. Left was supposed to better counter the torque of the engine. Not sure why they changed over.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

My '91 is RH. I don't know if it was set up that way from the factory or not, though. It doesn't appear to be the original drive or engine.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
During the 90's they were left hand. Mine is an 01' and its right hand drive. Left was supposed to better counter the torque of the engine. Not sure why they changed over.
My 29 is the same way, to counter the torque. Someone else had a 29 with a 575 and the boat was rolling over bad. He changed it back to LH and all is well now.

As far as I know, the Bravo drives are stronger running a RH rotation because it's running on the lower gear which is better protected. LH runs on the top side which is very close to the cap. I've heard of them literally blowing holes through the caps. The man who told me this was Craig Collabella and he is the outdrive poobah of the planet. He liked the stainless cap from the hydraulic steering and drive shower, said that makes things better, but when something goes wrong.........say the little bolt holding the shift linkage backs out of its threads and goes flying around in there, it chews up that top gear..........happened to me. My bottom survived and he pillaged another gear from another drive in for repair (it's the same part) and whalla........new upper!!!

Just tell your friend that even though he's probably only on a 496, just don't floor it coming out of the hole. Also back off if he flys the boat and if it's close chop that can't be throttled, just don't keep it floored or above 3/4. Take it easy and it will be fine.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

What I don’t understand is RH rotation causes a boat to lean to port, changing to LH would seem to just make it lean to starboard. The Fever runs good, though.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered

My 04 is a right hand and I was thinking of changing over to left hand. Somebody has tried it, I wonder what the results were.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by checkered
What I don’t understand is RH rotation causes a boat to lean to port, changing to LH would seem to just make it lean to starboard. The Fever runs good, though.
The engine torque will also cause the boat to lean to port. A LH rotation cancels this out.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
My 04 is a right hand and I was thinking of changing over to left hand. Somebody has tried it, I wonder what the results were.
27 or 29? What power?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by UNSANE
The engine torque will also cause the boat to lean to port. A LH rotation cancels this out.
Holy smokes that answers a question I've had. My boat is a '97 RH and I have to drag my port tab a little to keep it level.

Quick Reply: 27 fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.