Leaky bow rails? >

Leaky bow rails?

Notices

Leaky bow rails?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaky bow rails?

Think I have that problem too. A lot of rain here as of late, just pumped 10 gals of water out the front bilge. What should I use to seal the rails? That 5200 stuff??? Just apply a small bead? Where else should I be looking to seal up? Need to get this fixed, carpet is wet and a dehumidifier is going in there tonight. I really hate Fl. this time of year.......C'mon December!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't use the 5200.
Either 4200 or Life Chaulk is more than enough.

Surprised you can get 10 gal. of water to leak thru those holes, even if they where wide open.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine leaked too. Not 10 gal., just damp. But I did use a small amt. of 5200 at each hole after loosening the nut, cleaning the area with alcohol, cleaning again with Windex, letting it dry, putting on the 5200, tightening the nuts, no more leaking even with high pressure hose.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

The 10 Gal accumulated over a week of very heavy rain. The big question is getting to the nuts that loosen the bow rails. Do I have to go into the cabin and start taking things apart?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Yes there is a trim panel that hides the nuts but easily removed. Just get in there with good lighting and you'll find the screws.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the bolts that held my rails on where glassed over when Fountain glassed the deck and hull together. (The rails are installed while the deck is still free) I had to do some grinding to get to a coumple of them. But not a bad job if you remove the side trim panels that cover the side lighting.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

Default Iamaweetodd....

Found the leak....In my happiness to get the boat running again back in April, I've been tearassssin around both coasts having a grand old time.......Well I destroyed the cooler from all of this (fixed it...) but I forgot about the anchor riding up in the nose. Dawned on my today.............finally..........and sure enough, a couple of holes on the stern side, enough to let heavy rain water that comes in from the line hole make its way into the boat. This will be an easy/cheap fix though, some fabric and resin, so for the time being I put a garbage bag in there to seal up the anchor line hole so water doesn't get in. I'm running a dehumidifier in there right now getting it nice and dry. Bow rails checked out too. The anchor on the other hand............ It will live.........just a "little" bent up.

The anchor will live in the engine bay for the time being and will only go up front when I know it's going to be a calm day and/or I really need it for beaching and hanging and such.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Found the leak....In my happiness to get the boat running again back in April, I've been tearassssin around both coasts having a grand old time.......Well I destroyed the cooler from all of this (fixed it...) but I forgot about the anchor riding up in the nose. Dawned on my today.............finally..........and sure enough, a couple of holes on the stern side, enough to let heavy rain water that comes in from the line hole make its way into the boat. This will be an easy/cheap fix though, some fabric and resin, so for the time being I put a garbage bag in there to seal up the anchor line hole so water doesn't get in. I'm running a dehumidifier in there right now getting it nice and dry. Bow rails checked out too. The anchor on the other hand............ It will live.........just a "little" bent up.

The anchor will live in the engine bay for the time being and will only go up front when I know it's going to be a calm day and/or I really need it for beaching and hanging and such.
Did your anchor come loose, bounce around and punch holes in the side of the locker?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak42
Did your anchor come loose, bounce around and punch holes in the side of the locker?
Bouncing around is an understatement. Thought I had it well braced in there, but it did punch a couple of holes in the compartment, easy fixes though. Part of the anchor is actually bent. I'll have to take and post a photo of that one!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Bouncing around is an understatement. Thought I had it well braced in there, but it did punch a couple of holes in the compartment, easy fixes though. Part of the anchor is actually bent. I'll have to take and post a photo of that one!
That happened to me with that @#$&*# speed push-pin. I drilled a bigger hole and use a larger size now.

Quick Reply: Leaky bow rails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.