Fountain Air Scoops >

Fountain Air Scoops

Notices

Fountain Air Scoops

Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fountain Air Scoops

Is there anyone that has added aftermarket scoops or other ways of getting air into the engine compartment? I know the design on my boat probably only allows minimal air in, with no virtually way of getting it out. Has anyone tried this?

I posted this elsewhere; and feel there might be some gains to be had?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

Default Scoops

I was with the Fountain factory for 14 years and we did install
scoops on a couple of pleasure boats. both forward and aft facing. the aft facing scoops still get plenty of air due to creation of a negative pressure area at the trailing edge.
B.K.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

I might be able to help you.....how thick is your back hatch covers???
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have done as mentioned above. as well i have also added vents along the vertical portion of the deck along either side of the platform to relieve the engine compartment of some warm air.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered

Interesting replies. My back hatch covers are several inches thick. I thought about taking all of the black material out of the vents along the sides. Now there are holes in the black material beneath the white vents.

Do I need to have vents that exit as well as entering air? I would think that my NA engine is starved for air.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rebel heart, I think you would be hard pressed to find a boat line that was been tested more than Fountain. Your other thread on the same subject got a lot of replies. Its hard to tell by your latest response if you have read them. What engines are you running? If a bigger vent would make it go faster Reggie would have put them in. Good luck in your quest, hope you don't cut too many holes in your boat.
Jim
Old 09-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

the venting is relative to the speed of said vessell. basically you have to find the right balance between positive and negative pressures in your particular engine compartment.you may have to use a covered vent which would have a door that would allow excess air to remove itself from the eng, comp at speed by its own natural pressures.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
rebel heart, I think you would be hard pressed to find a boat line that was been tested more than Fountain. Your other thread on the same subject got a lot of replies. Its hard to tell by your latest response if you have read them. What engines are you running? If a bigger vent would make it go faster Reggie would have put them in. Good luck in your quest, hope you don't cut too many holes in your boat.
Jim
We found a little gain in speed in a 35 ICBM by opening the hatches a bit, 496HO´s in question. So I might argue about your statement.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MikeyFin, So you benefited from more air at least you determined you needed it. Rebels twin thread got a lot of response. Much talk of air in and air out, and ambient temps. In the boats I raced we tested to achieve ambient temp in engine box. Temp would go from 125 or more to ambient as soon as it came on plane. Best Wishes,
Jim
Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

I am just wondering that when Reggie placed the vents on a recreational boat, he probably did so with stock power in mind. Since I have 540s, running just under 100 mph - I would think the rules of game change. I checked the vents along the side of the boat that face forward. It seems they have a few holes in them, but would it make a difference if the black cowling was totally removed. That would allow more air flow entering from the sides of the boat. Has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: Fountain Air Scoops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.