x-dimention >

x-dimention

Notices

x-dimention

Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-dimention

how do you measure it??? is there a certin range you want to stay in? i am thinking about shorties this winter what gains could i expect? 1998 38 fever carb 500s . thanks .
Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

I would call Fountain to see what your x-dim is. They keep records, not sure how far back. I would guess that given my situation, that you would be a good candidate for the -2 shorties.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Registered

Brian its funny you posted this. I was going to start a thread this morning and ask for advice on the same idea. I think Marginmn is running shorties and 5 blades with his fever and has seen great results. But I am curious so anyone with Ideas please post away.

RAF
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

As posted by Wild Card 09

"No, the original definition of the x dimension is the distance from the driveshaft of the motor (input shaft of drive) to the lowest point on the vee.

However because this doesn´t take into account whether a shorty, standard or spacered drive is fitted, most people measure the x dimension as you have described, propshaft to bottom of vee (whether that is pad, or a conventional vee).
On a twin, the relevant dimension is measured from the hull bottom directly in front of the centrleline of the drive, to the propshaft.

On a single, 7"+ (prop to vee) is not unusual on older hulls running 3 blade props, but less than 6" is more common, these days, especially with 4 blade props. Stepped hulls can run higher drives than conventional vees, I believe.
90+ mph boats running 5 or more blades get down below 4".

My 80 mph 26 foot boat has a 4 1/2" drive height (on an extension box) and runs real nice.

The variables of hull design, weight, centre of gravity, prop, intended speed range make it impossible to generalise, too much."
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

I just went out and measured a 2006 35 and it is 23/4" my 97 with ext boxes is 41/2" but I think my drives are way to deep. mine gets on plane fast with very little bow lift.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Brian, Take a straightedge to your hull, directly in front of the bullet. Then measure down to the center of the prop shaft. That will get you your baseline. I'll bet you have a lot of room for improvement by going to a shortie. Carder
Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered

I put imco -2 inch shorties on my '99 38 fever with 500hps. i had to switch from the original hydomotives to bravo props. my boat didn't gain any top end but to my suprise it handles the ruff water in the ozarks much better. also imco's customer servive is a joke and they could't care less about the poduct once it's paid for.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
j4f
Registered

Default 99 fever 38 options

sorry ment to start new thread
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

thanks for the info everyone thats scary to here you spent all that money and didnt gain any more speed will have to do more reserch thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

nealmobile - I would have thought that your would have picked up a little speed with the shorties. With a 99, your x-dim should be pretty deep. I know with my 2001 35 single step the -2 shorties made quite a difference.

Quick Reply: x-dimention

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.