Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig. >

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Notices

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:37 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Out in the Atlantic, step bottoms and technology are not going to be the determining factor for speed. My friend has a two yr old 42 with the Xr stagger set up. Boat is an honest 83-84 mph boat with 525's. We ran the boat ia a poker run when it was new through some of the FL gulf and then intercoastal. I was impressed with the overall performance and handling. Ran probably 1/2 the run basically wot. However, if I was running down the NJ coast, I would not choose the 42 ahead of an Apache, Cig, or Sutphen.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reddeath, I have never been in your water in NJ, but what I can tell you is that boating in lake Michigan when there's a north wind blowing 20-30 mph, we get some really nasty 5-6 ft. waves here. I've been in 3 boats all in the same afternoon through 5-6 ftr's. A 42 Tiger with 750's, a 38 TG non step with 900's, and a 97 42 Fountain with triple 525 S/C's. The Tiger handled the water pretty well, and no one got wet, the TG did pretty good too, but was a little more out of the water than the Tiger. But, still a excellent rough water boat IMO. The last boat we were in was the Fountain, and I thought that now we were gonna be in for a soaking. I was really, really surprised on how well that 42 handled the rough water. I could really feel the difference on how the Fountain ran on top of it, and how the Cigs plowed through it. The Fountain defineatly ran smoother when you got over 70-75. Below those speeds it seemed like you were on a roller coaster.
I ran the Fountain for the last 15 miles of the 50 trip, and I ran it in the upper 80's for most of the 15 miles, and I was really surprised on how flat it flew over those swells. When we all got back into the harbor, no one in any of the boats were wet. Never had water break over the bow on any of the boats. I think alot has to do with how well a driver sets the tabs and drives for any particular type of water. You can take the biggest, safest boat out in the rough, and if the driver does'nt really know how to set the trim, there's an accident waiting to happen.

Because of the additional weight that an Apache has, I would have to say that a 41 Apache would probably be the "best" all around rough water boat. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some speed, for some comfort. I would tell you to buy the boat that you like best, and then learn to drive it properly.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greatly appreciate the input here..For me, (at least )the type of situation i dread is being someplace 50 miles from home in the boat and fearing the wave conditions on the way home.The crazy thing is for those unacustom to running in the NE ATLANTIC it can go from dead flat to 6 in no time at all.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The 42 Fountain wins races in big water for a reason. they are fast but there is a way you have to drive them. A 38 Cigarette will be easier to drive.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing you will find with the step Fountain is they like to run flat, very little bow lift. Now, if you have a following sea that is too big to really run hard, you will get wet. But with the 42, that has to be a really big sea and you may not want to be out there anyhow. One advantage to having the flat running attitude is that they fly very flat so you look like a real pro in the air
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
TWIN 1000S in either boat.As i said i intend to do day trips (not buzz around the ocean for a half hour.) Has anyone been in both boats considering the above parameters (i realize you run on top of the water in the Fountain and thru it in the traditional heavier vs.
running the way you are talking i'd be all over the efi motors!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 10x
Reddeath, I have never been in your water in NJ, but what I can tell you is that boating in lake Michigan when there's a north wind blowing 20-30 mph, we get some really nasty 5-6 ft. waves here. I've been in 3 boats all in the same afternoon through 5-6 ftr's. A 42 Tiger with 750's, a 38 TG non step with 900's, and a 97 42 Fountain with triple 525 S/C's. The Tiger handled the water pretty well, and no one got wet, the TG did pretty good too, but was a little more out of the water than the Tiger. But, still a excellent rough water boat IMO. The last boat we were in was the Fountain, and I thought that now we were gonna be in for a soaking. I was really, really surprised on how well that 42 handled the rough water. I could really feel the difference on how the Fountain ran on top of it, and how the Cigs plowed through it. The Fountain defineatly ran smoother when you got over 70-75. Below those speeds it seemed like you were on a roller coaster.
I ran the Fountain for the last 15 miles of the 50 trip, and I ran it in the upper 80's for most of the 15 miles, and I was really surprised on how flat it flew over those swells. When we all got back into the harbor, no one in any of the boats were wet. Never had water break over the bow on any of the boats. I think alot has to do with how well a driver sets the tabs and drives for any particular type of water. You can take the biggest, safest boat out in the rough, and if the driver does'nt really know how to set the trim, there's an accident waiting to happen.

Because of the additional weight that an Apache has, I would have to say that a 41 Apache would probably be the "best" all around rough water boat. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some speed, for some comfort. I would tell you to buy the boat that you like best, and then learn to drive it properly.
The stepped 42 fountain that drenched me was a staggered setup which made it run very flat. a tripple will run more stern heavy and allow the bow to lift.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
The stepped 42 fountain that drenched me was a staggered setup which made it run very flat. a tripple will run more stern heavy and allow the bow to lift.
From a "getting wet" standpoint, I have a 42 Fountain two step and recommend it hands down for 3-3 1/2 ft. waves or LESS. For any larger water than that no one beats Apache. I drove both out of Margate(A.C.) when I was up there to buy a boat. I ended up with the Fountain, but we got soaked in the Fountain and only got splashed in the Apache. In 6-8 footers. That's why there are so many Apaches still in use on the Jersey coast some on their 3rd and 4th lives. I love the 42 Fountain in avg conditions - a true joy to drive and handle. But those are big swells far apart up there in Jersey and you need the longest boat with the highest freeboard you can find.

Now a 47' Fountain supposedly does better in big water than a 42 but I've never been on one.

Last edited by On Time; 11-26-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Only got wet once or twice since owning our 42. Depends how you can use the tabs . Hey we never got wet in chicago 10x can say what the water was like, very rough. I don't know to each his own. Either way buy what ever fits for you good luck.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Thanks to all.Its interesting everyones defination of big water is different thats why i used the water off NJ (where i intended to boat 100%) of the time as a reference point)Im really more concerned with the ability to run through large ocean water for a pronounced amount of time without destroying myself or the boat (something i could not due with the 31 Sutphen ) then getting wet (lack of freeboard)

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.