Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
I Got The 29 Fever >

I Got The 29 Fever

Notices

I Got The 29 Fever

Old 01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1998 Fountain 29 single engine boat should have the X dimension 17 to 17 1/2 inches. In 2001 - 2002, when they switched to using B1 props, the X dimension went to 19 1/2 inches. Also, boat got 350 lbs heavier when they went to the new deck style in 2001- 2002. "old" style boat weighed 5500 lbs and "new" style went to 5850 lbs. From what I was told, the whole goal of getting the X up is so you get more straight line thrust from the drive/prop. Higher X boats should require less trim, with neutral trim being near optimal, ie, puts thrust vector straight ahead, so none is lost pushing the boat "up" or "down", and theoretically, you get the best use of the thrust. Also, the boats tend to run with a flatter attitude when on plane and at higher speeds, again, more of the "straight ahead" thrust vector thinking. Notice the word "thoretically", though. A little more wetted surface, but you get the hull areation from the step, too, since that part of the boat is in the water when they are running flat. Its a harder concept for some to grasp when, with traditional vee hulls, the "more trim is better" and "less hull in the water is better" worked.

From what I have seen, Hydromotive Q-IV props don't like that high of an X dimension, they just blow out, trying to get on plane.

Last edited by bob_t; 01-05-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info bob.That explains a lot of things,do you have any reccomendations that would help my setup?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered

no great words of wisdom ... I had a 2002 29 with 575 SCi and ran a 30 p B1 prop. Slip always seemed higher than I thought it should be, compared to the slip % we had on our 2000 29 with 500 EFI running 24 or 25 Hydro Q-IV props. Did find that the 2002 ran ~ 1 mph faster with RH rotatation B1 of same pitch but didn't like the way the boat leaned getting up on plane and lower mid range cruise - alway had to use some tab to correct it. When calculating slip, need to remember that B1 props pitch number is not the same as that for Hydro Q-IV's way of labeling pitch. If I remember correctly (and don't hold me to this), B1 props pitch is max pitch, whereas hydro Q-IV pitch is average pitch, so you need to subtract ~ 1 inch of from B1 prop to do slip calculations, to compare to Q-IV slip calcuations. Had lots of suggestions to get slip % lower, ranging from experimenting with drive spacers to going to 5 blade props. Since I didn't have access to cheap or free drive spacers or unlimited funds to try a variety of props, I just ran a stock 30P B1, which seemed to be a good all around performer for me. Tried several of my friends Hydromotive props and couldn't ever get the boat on plane due to prop blowout. The hydro's seemed to be prone to blowing out, even on our 1996 27 Fever with 500, and 2000 29 Fever with 500 EFI, especially when cornering, they would often lose their bite. The B1 prop didn't lose its bite in corners on our 2002, though.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered

If Anyone Has Any Setup Info On This Style Hull Please Post, Everyone Has Been Very Helpful!!!!!!!!!! (2005 FOUNTAIN FEVER 29') Thanks, DIRT173

Last edited by DIRT173; 01-11-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

I have an 03 with a 525. I've had great success running 26 and 28 Bravos with under 9% slip at WOT. I've recently had my engine "bumped up" and I should be making close to 600hp at the prop. I've bought a 30" Hydro QIV that was labbed a bit to calm down the stern lift. When the cool air arrives this week, I'll run it and see what it does. I've heard so many "yays" and "nays" about putting Hydros on the non-race version of this hull. I also want to try a 5 blade round-ear prop as well for summertime. I'm told they work well with this hull.

But as for today, the sun is shining, the seas are 2-3 and we are OUTAHERE!!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered

UNSANE, I have a new merc 4 blade 30 pitch "baja cup" that is supposed to be the SH*T, test on monday morning 1/14 weather looks good in HB! I will let everyone know how it works ,thanks for the help good luck with the hydromotive! DIRT173

Last edited by DIRT173; 01-12-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2000 29 Fever. After 2001 Fountain raised the X some. Normally a step bottom boat will run flatter than a traditional deep V....that is how all my Fountains have run. Also there is already a built in the transom set back box...you do not need one with a 29 Fever.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

Hey DIRT173,

Did you do a test run with that prop Monday? If so how did you make out?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered

Hey, I ran some props last Sat. The only bad news is that I'm running very rich and had no top end "poop", but sure made my transom dirty. Another re-tuned ECM is being sent to me to try that's been leaned out a bit on the top end. I ran a 28" Maximus, a 30" B1 and a 30" QIV. Since only my top end was affected, I did get some cruise numbers and a basic idea on how the boat behaved.
By the way, I plane at 1/2 throttle most times!
28" Max: Planed very fast, not much blow out. Cruised at 63mph at 4000. Only could muster 76.3 at 4900 (with a tail wind). Boat turned fine and handled good. Needed more trim though. I will revisit this prop for a summer/cruise setup.
30" B1 (really a 29.3) Planed just like any other Bravos with some blowout. Ran 60 around 4000 and gave me about 77.5 at 5000 rpm
30" QIV: took a little more throttle input and did blow out, but since I only run up just past 1/2 throttle, I was already making good headway and got the boat up to speed without much problem. This wheel was around 62 at 4000 and gave me 79.5 at 5000. Probably over trimmed a bit to get the bow up as my slip was 16%. Boat turned better to the right but felt a little more "lively" overall. I think with some power back, the boat's natural bow lift will put this prop and hull in "harmony". Next step is to get the engine tuned right to give me back my top end power. Then I'll mess with the blades with the goal being to get the rpm's up to 5350. That should get me around 86 or so. I jumped up over 4" of pitch and planed out just as fast on 1/2 throttle and was 1/2 throttle at stated cruise speeds so the power is there. I will test all 3 props again this week with a new ECM tune with the priority on the Hydro as I own this prop already and I'm looking for WOT numbers.
Based on how well it acted with the Hydro, I will not worry too much about the B1. I will come back to the 5 blade when it gets warm.

But it will plane out with the Hydro. Just don't floor it when trying to plane. That's bad for the drive anyways. Just put the drive and tabs all the way down. Stick it up to 1/2 and around 19 or 20mph, start tapping the tabs up. Around 25 and around 5 on the tabs, the Hydro will blow out fast and big time. Pull back on the stick a bit and get those tabs to neutral leaving the drive down. Around 30 or so, pull the tabs up and drive to neutral and you'll be on your way.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Registered

Hey thanks for the info UNSANE it sounds like you got what you were lookin for with your slip numbers. If anyone was wondering why I didnt post after I said I was going to test was because ,I have been having severe problems with my engine management system amongst other things but Im working with some good people here in Hunnington Beach and hopefully I can get this sorted out . My goal is to hit 95mph@12%slip or better and Im gonna hit it or die tryin! I will keep posting as we sort things out. THANKS! DIRT173

Last edited by DIRT173; 01-30-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: I Got The 29 Fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.