Questios about a Fountain??? >

Questios about a Fountain???

Notices

Questios about a Fountain???

Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questios about a Fountain???

OK guys ton't kill me. I'm a Formula owner shopping around for a new boat. I currently have a 271 fastech with a recently rebuilt 500efi. It's now a 540ci, 675HP. The boat runs 82 and for such a short boat rides pretty good. Still at that size going off shore is limmited to quick runs from Little Egg Harbor to Atlantic City on calm days. I'm looking to move up to a 35 and have been researching 2001 to 2003 35 Lightnings and Fastech's. The main reason for the move up is ride. The wife and child need more boat. The stats on the lightning say 85 to 86MPH and the Fastech is 80 to 82MPH. So we are talking about a 4 to 5 MPH differential. At top speed that's a big number. At cruise they seem pretty close. My question for you all is ride. My friend has a 2001 fastech and unles you are looking at 5 to 6 footers she's great off shore I've never driven a Fountain but if it's even close to the Formulas ride I'll take the faster boat. The Formula guys go on ond on about the 35 Fountain being a 31 foot boat and say it rides like it. I'm guessing there is a little bit of bias to say the least in that quote. So my question is, Are any of you running off shore in the Atlantic in a 35 lightning and if so how is the ride.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i own a fountain, they are nice, they are fast, but they are smaller than other manufacter's, if i were in your shoes, family, and location of use, i would go with the formula
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm baised since I'm a 382 owner but I like the looks/lines of the Fountain. It is faster but it's shorter, lighter running surface will not perform anything like the relatively heavy Formula. Sure it will run in those water conditions but at what comfort level....hopefully you can get a ride in one to see for yourself.

For a similar comparison: My buddy has a 38 Fountain and it was nothing like the ride in my 38 Formula.

Good Luck whichever direction you go.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Every Fountain I've been in rides just as well or better than the same size Formulas but the cabin in the 35's and 38's is small, much smaller than the equivalent Formulas. If you want comfort for the family, a Formula would probably be a better choice, but I think the Fountain would be AT LEAST 10 mph faster with the same power.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have a 35 formula fastech with hp 500'sat our dealership. it is probably the best way to test for yourself. run one then the other.i would suggest runing the fastech then the 35 ex or lightning. from a performance standpoint there is no comparison across the board. 5 to 6 footers sounds a little big . the only area left for debate would be the cabin but you are looking for a performance boat not a hybris or cruiser.
the efficiency alone during a season of fuel cost will sway you.

in the end drive them both.

good luck.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My 2cents worth is buy a 38 Fountain if you can. You can buy one for about the same money.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered

I Have a 35 fountain now , we run intercoastal water all the time and the boat is fine but , If I had to run big water I would go with the 42, I cannot believe how many used 42's there are out there. Good luck with your choice.