Sorta new guy, Fountain 48 SC Trip Cummins

Notices

Sorta new guy, Fountain 48 SC Trip Cummins

Old 02-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorta new guy, Fountain 48 SC Trip Cummins

Hi Folks,

I'm a longtime lurker, used to have screen name "Godaddy", but alas it's gone now, guess it's been too long, so had to register again. Anyhow, next Sat. I take delivery on a new, 48' Fountain SC in Lauderdale, it's being delivered from NJ by truck. It has the trip 425 Cummins diesels, hardtop, all other options. I'm having Garmin electronics installed on her, (only ones that fit right, have always had Raymarine or Furuno before.)

I've owned a couple of 25' Nova's, 1977 and 1985, and loved 'em. They were 60mph boats, and the new one should be about the same? Although, Cruise is lots more important to me than top speed, of course. This will be a Ft. Lauderdale boat, hoping to do Bahamas, etc. with it. Will probably add a watermaker..... I also own/operate/maintain (yikes!) a 76' Lazzara in Michigan City, IN. Fun Fun $$ $$. I'll dry stack her at the Port in Lauderdale.....

Anyone have any experience with this boat/engines? Research indicates that some are having prob's spinning blades due to trim being too low? (It has Arnesons.)

Thanx,
Cheers!

Tom Dogan
Hot Tomolly
Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

congrats, great boat and a big boat.......been on 2 48's one merc 525's with xr's and the other diesels.....awesome.
we are going to try to do a bimini run in a couple weeks when down for the miami show, more the better.......give a call if you wish.

Jay
416-676-8214
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered

great boats . thanks for buying a fountain guys. i saw a thread a few weeks ago regarding spinning props. check aound the fountain forum for it. rock on beakers !!!!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

I have a 47 Sport Cruiser which is much smaller than the 48 Express Cruiser because of the smaller beam, but it has been a great boat. It is trailable which is the main difference. I live in the Chicago area and usually put in at Winthrop Harbor.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Registered

Cool Lake Mich

That's Great!

We'll have to get together next summer. (If it ever comes.)

I keep my Lazzara in Mich. City, IN. We have some great parties at the Ogden Dunes, IN beach. (Gotta house there.)
I really enjoy weekends at the Chicago YC, When I can get in.... They never seem to have room for me at Dusable.

Rock On!!

Thomed
Commodore, Lake Michigan Yachting Association
Direct Function of being the youngest guy... at 50, go figure.....
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

Default Bimini Run

Hey Jay,

Bimini Run sounds really interesting. We get delivery of the boat Sat or Sun during Miami Boat Show. (Delivery in Ft. Laud.) What day do you plan to do the run? Are you spending night(s)?

PS I just returned this morn from Niagara Falls, ONT, on business. Hadn't been there since 6 years old. Cool place, sure has changed!

Tom D.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

do you mean 48' ec, i have an 06 trip 425's cummins bought new in august
Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thomed
Hey Jay,

Bimini Run sounds really interesting. We get delivery of the boat Sat or Sun during Miami Boat Show. (Delivery in Ft. Laud.) What day do you plan to do the run? Are you spending night(s)?

PS I just returned this morn from Niagara Falls, ONT, on business. Hadn't been there since 6 years old. Cool place, sure has changed!

Tom D.
Thinking about doing the run on
Monday at this point, obviously going to depend on weather etc. Not going to stay the night, would just like to go over for a couple hours for the experience and then come back. Are you staying for the week? We are going to be doing more boating in the Miami area as well. There will also be room at the dock from Wed on if you wish, we have 90 feet, the Nor-tech and Airborne will stay there for the show through Wed and then coming out of the water as the owners are heading back north.

Jay
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! That is my dream boat!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered

Smile Horsplay

Yes, It's a 48 EC. (Sorry, gotta get the nomenclature correct. Too many boats in my head.)

Would reallly like to hear how yours runs, etc. Have you had the "spun prop blades" issue? Is there a foolproof way that even this fool can be sure not to do this? I asked the dealer to take me on a run when I get delivery, (Joe at Coty Marine), he said he'd be glad to. Top topic will be "how to avoid the overtrim prop damage issues." Also, I've never piloted a stepped hull before, have been trying to absorb the advice in the Fountain Owner's Manual posted on their web site.

I'd hate to get to Lucaya, and have to order props to get back... It'd be a real bummer havin' to hang out at the local bars, waiting for them props to come. Maybe I'd better order 'em tomorrow, eh?

Any other advice you can give on this vessel would be much appreciated. Is the Cummins a good choice over the Yanmars? Dealer says C is much quieter, and less smoke than the Y's because the C's are common rail. I dunno, I once demoed a boat with common rail Man's, yow! was it loud. Also, this one has the blue hull, silver checkered flag "winner" graphics, not too sure about that. I also got the hardtop & AC in the cockpit, does this work? Is the gennie enough to power all AC's, etc. I'm hoping this thing works out for our family of 4 to do Bahamas trips, even anchor out overnights. I'll probably add watermaker, H20 tank is only 80 gals. My other boat holds 350, we go thru that in a few short days.

Tom D.

Quick Reply: Sorta new guy, Fountain 48 SC Trip Cummins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.