Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains? >

Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Notices

Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

I am always looking to increase the speed in the boats I own. (That's why I own Fountain) I am considering adding Imco boxes to my 06 38' Lighting w/staggered 525's and xr's with sportmaster lowers. A friend of mine told me that Fountians do not like extension boxes however he does not have any first have experience. So I pose the question to you. Have you added boxes and if so what was the results.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's ALOT of "variables" that come into play when you're adding boxes, especially if the boat was'nt origionally setup for them. What you will probably have to do, is raise the X dimension to get the drives, or should I say the props higher in the water.

If I were you, I'd call someone with hands on knowledge of what you're trying to achieve here. Your best bet would be to call Scott Shogren at Shogren Performance Marine in Waukeegan Ill, and I personally know that he's got plenty of experience with trying all the possible combinations that there are to gain speed. He'll steer you in the right direction, otherwise you'll be throwing out good money after bad, chasing problems that arise from buying the wrong components, only to find out that you did'nt gain the speeds that everybody told you you'd see. Everything that Scott touches, seems to run fast and effiecient.
Everyone has their opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. Scott's opinion is one that you can count on.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

Thanks Frank! I will definatly call him on Monday. I watched a buddy put Whipples on his 525's and after spending another 20k to fix the problems that developed, he still is disappointed in the results.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is what I was told By the Reggie Man when I asked the same Question .." If my boats ran faster with them I would have installed them" .. my reply (Thanks)
The following users liked this post:
JRalston (01-10-2022)
Old 04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered

no first hand experience but the 42 I have now had boxes and they were taken off as the boat loast apprently 6mph or something.........it did however work very well in rough water though.

good luck........Jay
Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

Good points, thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Maybe I will go with Vortech blowers?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very interesting! I have tried to find out if it helps, but no one can answer me.

I have a 29 Fever with twin Merc 377 Scorpions. this boat flies when I trim it out to 5,5 on the indicators. I guess adding a real set-back extention box would increase the bow lift dramatically, and then be able to get the sme angle of attack with less positive trim...? It is DANGEROUS to pass wakes with that trim. Was almost thrown out of the boat one time, I did not see the wakes....

29 is not a "full stepped" boat. Runs much like an old ordinary Vee.

All inputs apprechiated VERY much!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

I have spoken with a couple of the people at Fountain when I was looking at adding boxes. They told me the same thing that others have said - Fountains normally don't like the boxes unless the boat was specifically set up to run with them. Shorties are a different thing depending on the x-dim.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say that boxes don't work, but when setup properly, they work great.
My boat was setup from the factory with Gentry twin turbo'd 527 cu. in. engines that made around 950 hp, boxes and SSM IV's. If you look closely, you'll see how high the boxes had to be installed. They had to cut the rub rail to raise the boxes to get the x dimension high enough. With the boxes on, my prop shafts are an inch below the bottom of the boat, if you were to run a straight edge along the bottom back to the nose cone of the drive.
When I run in normal water, I keep the drives about dead even with the bottom of the boat, which is about 2.5 on the indicators. Tabs evenly straight with the bottom also. I never trim the drives out more than 3, or it will lift the nose ridiculously high and really take off when you hit those unexpected "bigger" rollers that seem to come up out of nowhere when you running in the triple digets.
Before you spend all the money to convert to boxes, try some different props like some 5 blades. The boxes are the cheapest part of the conversion. Then all your steering brackets will need to be changed, some shortie drives will be on order, and the props that you are using now, will more than likely be of no use anymore. I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm saying that you're in for a major expense. Be prepared.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?-image00058.jpg   Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?-image00012.jpg   Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?-image00027.jpg  

www.chicagopowerboat.com

Last edited by 10x; 04-12-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Do extension boxes pickup speed on Fountains?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.