please dont kill me >

please dont kill me

Notices

please dont kill me

Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please dont kill me

I know I may get my *ss handed to me but i have to ask. Has anyone converted their fountain to right hand throttles? or is it poss? My left shoulder is kinda weak now from 2 shoulder surgeries in the past 18 months and dont know if left throttles would be OK for me.I never drove one yet, but am def interested in a few i see for sale.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

A local boat was converted in a re-rig but I don't know the guy real well.

One concern. If your left shoulder is weak and it's difficult to use that arm.....why would you switch throttles and now have to STEER with that bad left arm?????
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen dashes for sale with right hand throttles. I think on Livorsi's site. Also have seen some Fountains with the right hand throttle. I don't think you would be the first.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Registered

the old early 90's 47 competition series had right hand throttles. Also seen a re-rig with right hand throttles.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

10X did it to his.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

My left shoulder is weaker but using it in front of my body like on a steering wheel is ok. I think it would be the position of the throttles that would put my shoulder in alittle pain. Dont get me wronge, I use my shoulder everyday at home and work(auto tech) and by the end of the day it hurts. Hopefully it will get better.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I have never been a big fan of the left handed throttle set up, would prefer to be a rightie. Way too many years of having a gear shift in my right hand and doing the steering with my left. Reggie has his own opinion on predominant hands, they are what they are. Were I to order a new boat, built for just for me, the throttles would be to the right. Easy enough to change. In my case I have just worked at adapting to the opposite side, getting there, but still working on it.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

I suppose I could do it with a little physical therapy. Just would be easier righty I think.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted mine over to the right side because with them on the left side, I could never hold a steady rpm while running in choppy waters. With nothing to rest your forearm on while holding the throttles, I found my left arm constantly bouncing up and down while running in choppy seas. Which in turn was pushing the throttles up and down, enough to make the rpm's of the engines go up and down also.
It was very uncomfortable for me to take a long trip and hold the engine rpm's steady. At WOT, it was'nt a problem at all, but I very seldom run at those speeds compared to running at 3500.
Now I'm able to rest the back of my elbow into the front of the bolster, and I even had a small cushion made that velcrows on between the throttle pod and the front on the bolster, that I can rest my forearm on. Waayyyyyyyy more comfortable now. Pics are'nt the greatest, but they're all I have for now. I'll take a few more better ones this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails please dont kill me-dash-guages-2-.jpg   please dont kill me-dash-guages-1-1013-sz.jpg   please dont kill me-interior6.jpg  

www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcuda499
I know I may get my *ss handed to me but i have to ask. Has anyone converted their fountain to right hand throttles? or is it poss? My left shoulder is kinda weak now from 2 shoulder surgeries in the past 18 months and dont know if left throttles would be OK for me.I never drove one yet, but am def interested in a few i see for sale.
I know of a shop up in Lake Goerge that has done some conversion's over to a right hand throttle...let me know if you need their info.

Quick Reply: please dont kill me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.