Batteries and electical question. >

Batteries and electical question.

Notices

Batteries and electical question.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
jrz
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to further confuse this, but with the port and stbd switches each on both, will one charger, hooked to the jumper cable plug, charge both batteries?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

jrz Not to further confuse this, but with the port and stbd switches each on both, will one charger, hooked to the jumper cable plug, charge both batteries?
Yes

BeakBoater35 Why not run the switch in "BOTH"?
On another link someone stated that the grounds could be different causing a problem with the computers, but if US1's schematic is correct the only way this could happen is if there is a lot of current on the ground leg between the two batteries. One battery would have to be dead or very low and the switches on both.,,,,DUH just answered why you don't want to leave on both.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

I took switches a part found starboard switch to be starboard motor batt. 1 and house batt controls cabin and fridge. port switch is port batt. 2 does nothing but start port engine.

Switches had one wire coming from each batt. to the 1&2 post then had jumper wires going to other switch. One wire from conn post going to starter. Cabin power was wired to starboard switch #1 post.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What he said!!

this is correct
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
P switch to #2= P battery to the P motor,
S switch to #1= S battery to the S motor.
Easy way to remember, each switch points to the side of the boat that it is on. LLL, RRR (switch, battery, motor)

With both switches set to either 1 or 2, both motors will be starting off/charging the same battery. Not best to run them set to same position. And don't run both iswitches in the BOTH position.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Registered

Not to go against what was said about running on "both" but I have been for 11 years, to add to that I never even turn the batteries off when I put the boat away for the week / summer or in storage / winter....I agree with the LLL and RRR running them on 1 and 2, I will try this if its better.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leaving the switches in the BOTH positions removes your option to start your motors if you spend all day listening to your stereo and you run your battery down. Opps I mean running BOTH of your batteries down. In the BOTH position, you don't have 1 dead battery, you have 2.

I never turn my batteries switches off either. Only time I've ever messed with them is when I've had a battery go bad.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Registered

Makes even more sence....
Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered

Just pulled out one of the Merc Manuals, Section titled "Multiple EFI Engine Battery Precautions" (not going to type the whole thing, just the highlights)
"EFI Electronic Control Module (ECM): The ECM requires a stable voltage source. During engine operation an onboard electrical device may cause sudden drain of voltage at the engine's battery. The voltage may go below the ECM's minimum required voltage. Also, the alternator on the other engine may now start charging. This could cause a voltage spike in the engine's electrical system. In either case the ECM could shut off ..."
"Batteries: Boats with multi engine EFI power packages require each engine be connected to its own battery. This ensures that the engine's ECM has a stable voltage source."
"Battery Switches: Battery switches should always be positioned so each engine is operating off its own battery. Do not operate engines with switches in both or all position. In an emergency, another engine's battery can be used to start an engine with a dead battery"
The 500 EFI manual included a paragraph for multi engine applications that says running with switches in both or all position can cause voltage spikes or unstable voltage that can permanently damage the ECM.

Last edited by bob_t; 04-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

Thanks, good info....1 and 2 it is then
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Good info indeed. Thank you to all who took the time to post replies.

Originally Posted by Back4More
Thanks, good info....1 and 2 it is then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.