27 Fever with twins? >

27 Fever with twins?

Notices

27 Fever with twins?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 27 Fever with twins?

I have found a 00' 27 Fever set up for single power, that needs some TLC. It's cheap, and financial times are hard right now. It needs new power, and I was wondering, if anyone in here has some ideas? I was thinking small block twins, if they will fit? Boat is super cheap, with hull and interior in good condition, and a good friend of mine can do the transom work for me.

Long live the beak
Old 04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

One good big block, not enough room, and too much weight on the rear. There is a reason Reggie never put twins in a 27. He even quit putting them in 29s several years ago. Even the 32s looked like they were sinking.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
One good big block, not enough room, and too much weight on the rear. There is a reason Reggie never put twins in a 27. He even quit putting them in 29s several years ago. Even the 32s looked like they were sinking.
This post is pretty much inaccurate. Reggie did put twins in the 27's back in the early 1990s. I believe you could option to twin 454's, maybe larger. You can definately get twin 6.2Ls in 29's to present date (although it looks like they stopped making 29's altogether in 2009 according to the website), and many late 199o's boats were optioned with twin BB's. There is one for sale near me with twin 500HP's, this has to be a rocket.

So to answer your question, if you really want to put twins in they should fit. Like stated before I would build a nice single BB EFI motor and get yourself out on the water this summer.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by liftedBFT
This post is pretty much inaccurate. Reggie did put twins in the 27's back in the early 1990s. I believe you could option to twin 454's, maybe larger. You can definately get twin 6.2Ls in 29's to present date (although it looks like they stopped making 29's altogether in 2009 according to the website), and many late 199o's boats were optioned with twin BB's. There is one for sale near me with twin 500HP's, this has to be a rocket.

So to answer your question, if you really want to put twins in they should fit. Like stated before I would build a nice single BB EFI motor and get yourself out on the water this summer.
I have a 1990 Fever 27/29 . The swim platform was not added to the over all length till after the 1990 models. The boat you are talking about is actually 29', not 27'. Mine has twin 454's. The 27 Fountains were all single engine boats.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Registered

friend has a 2006 29 twin scorpions. hauls. 82-84 light gas. its a nice set up if you really need twins. twins are awsome for docking. the acceleration is huge. Wyatt fountain said the twin 29 my friend has will pull on a old 900 and 6 drive 42's in mid range. but the bottom line is a single works better and its one less motor and drive to fix. I had a 27' with a 740hp normal asp. and it was a hand full. 85-88. I think i could have got more but i could never prop right. My opinion is stay with single. also resale is better if you get the itch and pocketbook to go bigger
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Sorry have been away on holliday, so therefore no replys. The reason for the twins, was that it would be better at the docks, but also better in the midrange. I'm not sure about how fuel consumption with two 377 scorpion will compare to a 525. But I think a good setup with the twins should get to 75 mph with that power. The other thing is, that I haven't seen alot of 27 twins, and I think it would be a cool boat to do. Besides, I live in Copenhagen in Denmark, and a used pair of 6.2's or 377's is a heck of alot easier to come by and pay for here, than a good used 525 or 575 sci. I think it has something to do with our gas prices. About 10 d. kr. a liter, or about 7½-8$ a us gal.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Sorry have been away on holliday, so therefore no replys. The reason for the twins, was that it would be better at the docks, but also better in the midrange. I'm not sure about how fuel consumption with two 377 scorpion will compare to a 525. But I think a good setup with the twins should get to 75 mph with that power. The other thing is, that I haven't seen alot of 27 twins, and I think it would be a cool boat to do. Besides, I live in Copenhagen in Denmark, and a used pair of 6.2's or 377's is a heck of alot easier to come by and pay for here, than a good used 525 or 575 sci. I think it has something to do with our gas prices. About 10 d. kr. a liter, or about 7½-8$ a us gal.
No, it wont be better at anything. The boat (i just sold an 01') is built for a single and twins were never an option. Too heavy with twin motors and NO room. The boat is only 24' in the water....if you cant dock that with a single than move along. Midrange single power is fine, and the boat will not ride correct with too much weight in the back. Pile 4-5 people in a single 27 and see what i mean. Most newer 29's are singles also. The boat just works/balances better with one motor. If you want twin small blocks in something look for a 292 formula.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

I see what you mean. I'm going to have a closer look at the boat this weekend, and if it's not possible, it will be a single installation.

I have no problem docking the boat with a single engine, I just meant that twins are better at it. It is not the main reason, by far.

I have only been in the 35 and 42 Lightning, so I really don't know nuch about the 27. Thats why I'm posting here.

Any thoughts on the top speed with a 496HO and CMI sport tubes?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
If you want twin small blocks in something look for a 292 formula.
I agree and it just so happens there is one for sale in Denmark that you probably can try if you like: http://www.dba.dk/asp/soegning/detai...nceid=59841827 (it is not my boat)
The Formula 292 Fastech is a great boat.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

I'd think a single hot small block would be more than enough. Less weight really makes boats go faster and handle better. You will use a lot less tab and/or more trim, so get a lot better fuel efficiency, with a lighter engine. Its no problem to get over 400HP from a small block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.