42 fountain -  not enough noise! >

42 fountain - not enough noise!

Notices

42 fountain - not enough noise!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42 fountain - not enough noise!

Just curious.... I have 99 42' Lightning with twin 500HP enigines with captains choice. Are there mufflers that are prohibiting sound even when the captains choice is turned off? When engaged, the boat is near silent, but when you disengage the captains choice you don't hear the rumble that I would expect. I do realize that thes are not the biggest of engines, but my p29 scarab with twin 350s put this boat to shame by the way of noise. How do I get the noise back???
Or is this just the way it is???

Thanks everyone!
Joe
Old 04-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On most Fountains I've seen the swim platform is even with the waterline. This muffles the sound a lot. I have a 28 Active Thunder and my brother has a 29 Foutnain with the same engines. My boat is definitely louder when you stand behind it. On the decibel meter there was a 3-4 decibel difference.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Registered

As stated above the swim platform sitting very close to the water makes a big difference. The crack and bang muscle sound is toned way down and you get a deep rumble.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

Check to see if your silent choice system is working properly. Over time they have a tendency to stick. My 99 38 with Hp500s is a noisy SOB. The flaps internally may not be opening all the way when switching open. No way twin small blocks are louder than your boat platform or not. On a 42 the exhaust still dumps well above the water line.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered

29 fountains with big blocks will put the bottom of the platform just about the water line so it will be muffled some what. There is still about 6-8 inches give or take from the bottom of your platform to the water. Check to see that your silent choice is working properly.

RAF
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered

anyone have any tips on how to check the silent choice system???
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

on each of your risers there is air actuators with the boat runnen they will be either all the way forward or to the back then switch and make sure they all move then i would check it again later cuz if you have a small leak one could close or open depending on where you start at.if you have two people it is real easy to see them moving.hope this helps!!!!hey runafever when is your first splash!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered

Ditch the captains call and change the tail pipes out for dry pipes. It will make your head hurt.