Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please! >

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Notices

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

I am single and nearing 30 years of age and have not yet owned a power boat.

I know with toys it's all about how much you have to spend, so my budget for a go-fast boat is around 50-60K knowing that I would need to have additional funds for insurance, gas for the boat, some maintenance, potential upgrades, and travel costs to use the boat.

I have been trying to figure out which Fountain boat would be the best for boat fresh and salt water. Single/double? 29? 33? 35? Also, IS Fountain the way to go?

I entertain everyones thoughts and thank you all in advance.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dhenry123
I am single and nearing 30 years of age and have not yet owned a power boat.

I know with toys it's all about how much you have to spend, so my budget for a go-fast boat is around 50-60K knowing that I would need to have additional funds for insurance, gas for the boat, some maintenance, potential upgrades, and travel costs to use the boat.

I have been trying to figure out which Fountain boat would be the best for boat fresh and salt water. Single/double? 29? 33? 35? Also, IS Fountain the way to go?

I entertain everyones thoughts and thank you all in advance.
Is that $50 - $60K total or per year?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems like alot of boat for the money.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...IN-35-94969030
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Is that $50 - $60K total or per year?
Nice Marginmn - That is 50-60K total for the purchase of a boat.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Get the biggest boat you can afford, IMHO. And stock, reliable power is KEY if it's your first boat...you are gonna want to USE it!

Fountain is a great boat as far as quality...you may pay a little more for the nameplate, but not as much as you would for Cigarette.

That 35 would be a spectacular option...I LOVE mine. I started on a boat with twins with the idea that if you DID break down, you can always get back on one!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Registered

My 2ct
I would think that if you have never owned a power boat, you might want to take a small step rather than a big leap.
I know a lot of guys like the twins as i do but as for cost of ownership and ease of use like towing it finding a place to park at the docks….., I would go for a single 27/29 with newer hull and see how you like it.
I got my 02 29 w/one 575 for $61 and love it and remember one motor cost 1/2 as 2 would cost you when it comes time to have something done.
But nothing looks cooler then a twin walking sideways to park!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dhenry123
Nice Marginmn - That is 50-60K total for the purchase of a boat.
Ok, saying you spend the full 60K on the purchase, what is your budget to run and maintain the boat each year and how are you going to use it? Are you going to keep it at a marina and sleep on it, trailer it each time? How far do you have to trailer and what kind of tow rig do you have, and what tow rig can you afford?

All of those questions will affect your choice.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

My first boat was a 33 Vyper,twin engine.... loved it. Sure its not a Fountain but...... I grew up in boating so I knew alot about it so I went with a bigger 'first boat'. If you have little knowledge about boating I would say stick to something under 30'As asked before,how do you plan on using it does make a diff.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you plan on using it? I see in your avitar you say Ohio, if you are boating on the Great Lakes, your going to need as much boat as you can get. Probably no less than a 35 that would be hard to get for $50-60K unless its a project boat. On the other hand, if you are boating on a lake or river, my choice would be a 29 single. One motor, less maintance, fairly roomy in the cockpit, no Fountain has a big cabin unless its a cruiser, so if you plan on overnighting in comfort forget it. The key is to match the boat for what you are going to use it for, and what water you are boating in. Its no fun to have a boat that beats you to death every time you go out because it cant handle the water you are boating in, or you have to wait for that one perfect day. If you need more cabin, look at Sonic, Active Thunder, Sunsation or even Baja. Their is a 32 single Sunsation for sale on Serious Offshore .com for $65k. They usually wont run as fast as a Fountain with the same power, but you have to make a choice and match it to what you need.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 05-19-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Ok, saying you spend the full 60K on the purchase, what is your budget to run and maintain the boat each year and how are you going to use it? Are you going to keep it at a marina and sleep on it, trailer it each time? How far do you have to trailer and what kind of tow rig do you have, and what tow rig can you afford?

All of those questions will affect your choice.
Budget to run and maintain the boat each year is 20K. Will not sleep in it overnight. Trailer time is 10 minutes. I have the rig already - dodge ram quad cab 2500 diesel 4x4. Primarily fresh lake water (lake cumberland, dale hollow, etc) and maybe in a few years some brackish water (ICW intercoastal waterway). Plan to entertain 4-5 people, no waterskiing etc, just use it to boat and swim.

I have 10+ years of experience with a 24 foot open bow.

Last edited by dhenry123; 05-19-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.